General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 5S-FE new motor and wont start and stay running

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Default 1996 5S-FE new motor and wont start and stay running

So I have a 1996 Camry with a new 5S-FE. I have less than 100 miles on it. It is brand new other than that. I have driven it around town, to and from work a couple times, as well as around the block. It ran great, had no issues.
I went to go to the gas station since it was almost empty, and when I went around the corner from my house, it shut off on me. It just died. I figured maybe it ran out of gas, so I had a gas can, and got 2 gallons to put in it. Once the gas was in the tank, it just turned over, and would not start. I had to push it home (Just around the corner), and then checked air, fuel and spark. It had all 3, so I assumed maybe the fuel pump, but maybe not.
Well the next I day I bought a new key, and wanted to make sure it worked, so I used it to turn the engine over, and it started. Then died. It didn't even run long enough for me to pump the gas to try to keep it running. So I assumed it ran out of gas, and ruined the fuel pump. I went out and got a new one, and put it in. I then tried to start it, and it wouldn't start. Well, I tried it again tonight before working on it, and it started, but died about 2 seconds later.
That tells me the timing is right. It also tells me that it is getting air, fuel and spark. I just cant figure out what the issue is. I dont have a scan tool yet to see if it is throwing codes. But I have one being sent to me now.
Any one have ANY idea at all? I have over $6600 in receipts for this car, have driven it a total of 150 miles, and have owned it for almost a year and a half. I am starting to get frustrated with it, and just want to be able to drive it finally.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:21 AM

Since its a new engine and its working out its kinks... And looks like you got spark, cranks but engine is not starting.. Only points to timing belt,, could be broken or couple of ribs inside belt is gone and slipping so doesn't catch the crankshaft sprocket to turn engine over.

Happened to me at 90k miles on side of road...keeps cranking but engine never catches or starts...found out inner timing ribbed, couple of groves were worn out and would slip and never catch the crankshaft to turn engine over. Yeah,, It was the original timing belt.

Now since its new engine and would have new timing belt...maybe something related to it inside.. But you can check if timing belt is moving or not when you crank or slipping... Just loosen enough of top timing cover to check it.

good luck.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:01 PM

I had issues with the timing belt already once, and I made sure I did everything by the book, and got it right. I wouldn't think the timing belt, which is new, would cause this if it does start and run. But I will definatley take a look. I just got the scan tool in the mail yesterday, but I'm a little busy. And since i have another car, I am not SUPER worried about this.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:37 AM

Got a scanner on it, and it is not throwing any codes at all. Someone recommended checking the MAF, but my book says that it has a MAP. I am not sure where it is on the car. My book tells me how to check it, but not where it is. Any help would be awesome!!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:09 PM

Have you tried replacing the fuel filter?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:51 AM

When I replaced the fuel pump it didn't appear to be clogged, but I am thinking about replacing it anyways. It might be that is the problem. I am not sure.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:14 PM

Just to clarify- will the engine continue to run if you hold the throttle open? Are you having running issues or idle issues?

JJ

Old 11-11-2009, 10:29 PM

I tried to start it this morning to make sure it still would not start, and this time I held the gas pedal to the floor, and it started, and stayed running, as long as I had my foot on the gas. It ran REALLY rough, and was smoking alot of white smoke, which I am assuming came from all the unburnt fuel in the exhaust, and combustion chamber. It also threw a code. I checked the code when I got home from work, and it is the Cmashaft position sensor code, P0340. I tried to find it, thinking it shouldn't be to hard, but I cant find it. I found what appears to be an oil sensor, right by the distributor, but I cant find any other sensor in the head. The book says it is held on by two bolts, but I cant find anything like that on the head at all. On the 5S-FE, is it really held on by two bolts, or is it the sensor I thought it was by the distributor? I had to replace that sensor already when I swapped the engine since I broke it off on accident trying to pull it out.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:50 PM

I have looked all over online for an answer to where this sensor is, and no one knows where this sensor is. Alot of people think it doesn't exist. So why would the computer throw a code for a sensor it doesn't even have? Should the computer be replaced?
I still cant get it to start and stay running longer than a few seconds. The only time it has ran is when I held the gas down. I have tried that since, and it doesn't work. I have tried holding the key to start, and that doesn't help either. Any other ideas? I didn't change the fuel filter, but it seems to have a problem elsewhere. It seems like it isn't fuel related. Possibly the computer, or spark related, even though it is getting spark.

I am getting close to putting a for sale sign on this car since it wont start, run, or drive for me. ANY help will be great!!