General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 4cy Gen4 Camry - Low Beam stopped working. High Beam works.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 11:06 AM
Default 1998 4cy Gen4 Camry - Low Beam stopped working. High Beam works.

So I picked up a used 1998 4cy Camry I noticed while the low beam was on that sometimes the High Beam Indicator light would be one. It seemed random, sometimes high beam indicator would be on then go off, but headlights low beam was always working. High beam also worked. Then sometimes noticed headlights would go out while driving. Now I'm at a stage where low beam does not work at all. Only High Beam. So as a temp fix, I have modified the wire harness so that when you turn on the high beam, it will really enable the low beam bulb....

Does anyone know what wires I need to be looking at to diagnose this problem? Im pretty sure when I enable the low beam I do hear a relay clicking. But maybe because it clicks, does not mean its working? Its the high beam indicator light coming on when low beam was enabled was really puzzling to me, and it appeared random. But for sure some wires or something is jacked up somewhere. But I just don't know how to diagnose the wiring. Any help on this subject would greatly be appreciated. Since its cold right now I probably will not be able to start working on this until it warms up. But hoping in the meantime to get some ideas on how to diagnose this and possibly fix it.

Old 01-17-2024, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Does the car have day time running lights?

Old 01-17-2024, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Just so I that I know exactly what you are saying; the hi beam indicator would be on when the low beams were on?
Is it possible the connectors are got switched? Does it look like there has been any work done under the hood?

Old 01-18-2024, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Does the car have day time running lights?
Does not have daytime running lights. Its a base model Camry. NO cruise control either.

Old 01-18-2024, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Patonium
Just so I that I know exactly what you are saying; the hi beam indicator would be on when the low beams were on?
Is it possible the connectors are got switched? Does it look like there has been any work done under the hood?
For sure connectors not switched, because when both things were actually working, when I turned on the High Beam, the High Beam lights turned on. Also when the low beam completely failed, I had to enable the high beam to drive home with lights. From visually looking it did not look like any modifications to any wire harnesses. One thing we noticed after buying the car that the rear windshield was replaced, and the defrost does not work, and when I looked I could not even find the defrost module, I actually bought a new module, but now having a hard time finding the power wire back there. Another thing I would like to fix. It looks like it does have defrost as it has a defrost switch up front and when its pressed it does light up if its supposed to be enabling power to some wire back there, but I can't find the wire. So someone did some bad work when replacing the rear window. .

Last edited by umdaman; 01-18-2024 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-18-2024, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like the gremlins have had a run at your Camry, lol. For the headlights, I would start the car, turn on the headlights (low beams), and use a test light and start working my way back from the low beam bulbs or you could start from the switch I suppose. Before going down this road, double check all fuses/relays that could even remotely pertain to your issue.
For your rear defrost, there should be two wires somewhere outback there, sounds like someone replaced the glass and said 'meh' when it came to the rest of it. Those wires should be there somewhere though. Try to see where they connect to the glass.
Did you get a car fax or similar background check on this car before you bought it? Your car seems to have some history...