General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No high beams

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 07:10 PM
Default No high beams

The high beams suddenly stopped working on my 2009 Camry LE. The symptoms are as follows: The low beams are working, the blue light on the dash is working and the low beams stay on all of the time while operating the high beam switch lever, even when the high beams are supposed to be on (thank goodness for that). The owner's manual doesn't indicate the presence of a high beam relay as referred to by many threads. I've swapped fuses 27 & 28 with fuses 29 & 30 (in the fuse box located underneath the hood - right and left low beam, right and left high beam) and nothing changed. That confirmed that the fuses are good. The owner's manual doesn't indicate that any of the fuses in the dash are related to the head lights. I'm looking for a good troubleshooting guide.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Does the vehicle have day time running lights? If so, do they work?

If not, check DRL fuse.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:16 PM

The DRL lights are not working. I checked both high beam bulbs and they are both bad. That is unsettling because they both went out at the same time for some unknown reason and if I install two new bulbs they might blow out too. New headlight bulbs make for expensive fuses. I cannot find any semblance of DRL fuses in the car nor are they mentioned in any diagram I've found. That leaves me wondering what bulb burns for DRL lights. Both the low beam and high beam bulbs are single element and there is no other bulb in the fixture so one of the two has to serve as the DRL lights. Do the high beam bulbs serve both roles?

Old 12-14-2017, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

The high beams also serve as the DRL lights. They operate at a reduced voltage for reduced output.

Each high beam bulb is fused. The power to these two fuses is controlled by a daytime running light relay. This relay is controlled by a light control circuit

Its possible the DRL relay or light circuit board are bad.

The relay and light circuit are integral to a circuit board underneath one of the relay/fuse boxes in the engine compartment. If one or the other part is bad, the complete board would need to be replaced.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:10 PM

In my research I have found a lot of confusing information. Perhaps there was more than one way in which Camry configured their head lights, even within the same model year, but this is what I learned today. I installed two new high beam bulbs and everything went back to normal. The DRL lights are the low beams. I put the key in the ignition switch and turned it on and set the light switch to auto and checked and the low beams are what lit up. I cranked the car and the low beams were still illuminated. When I pushed the light switch lever forward the blue light indicator came on and the high beam lights came on. The low beam bulbs continued to burn with the high beams on. Apparently, the DRL circuit is routed thru the high beam bulbs in some manner because with the high beam bulbs bad the DRL lights would not come on.
I did not find a reason why both of my high beam bulbs were bad. The filaments were broken but there was no obvious signs of any kind of a flash or burn out.
The DRL fuses and relays illustrated on some websites (even photos) do not exist in my 2009 Camry, at least not in the locations shown. None of the fuses in the 2009 Camry are defined as being DRL fuses in the Owner's manual and the manual only lists two fuse panels, one underneath the dash and one underneath the hood.

I appreciate everyone's replies and hope this information might be helpful to anyone having the same problem.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Great job in finding the problem!

It does appear things may have changed with the DRL layout.

The DRL relay is incorporated into the circuit board as described previously. Its not pull and replace item or listed as a separate part.

There is no DRL fuse.

Strange how both bulbs would fail at the same time.

Might check alternator voltage output. Should be something like 15.1v at 2000 rpm when charging the battery. Check at the battery terminals.