General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Camry XLE Pass.door stays LOCKED!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 07:52 PM
Default 1998 Camry XLE Pass.door stays LOCKED!

Hello Camry Fans, I have another issue which drives me CRAZY! (no pun intended)

This issue?
My Passenger door does not want to unlock.
I was not sure exactly where to 'park' this inquiry, DIY, or Electronics, but I thought maybe here, in General Tech.

The only way to unlock my pass. door, is to be inside, to pull back, on the door latch to physically, unless I dont know of another step to unlock the pass.door, I give up!
I've unlocked the drivers console door side, then clicked all the doors to unlock, get out, walk around to Pass. side, using the door latch it will not open, not even with my key. I hear the 'unlocking' and, 'locking sound, sound,' but still will not open!

I then try my key to unlock the pass. door, but it still fails to open.
. I climb back into the drivers side, pressed the child lock, tried it both each time, in the up, then down position, still nothing.

Yes, I tried reaching over to the pass. door side and pushed that square lock/unlock button, then go outside, then tried unlocking it, but still not unlocks.

I thought maybe there was another lock switch somewhere on the door, over by the door latch itself, that somehow got engaged.

These are small little quirks that can ruin a somewhat pleasant day, and turn them into a nightmare!

Would lubricating any door latch parts help, if yes,
Graphite?
WD-40?
Blaster/Silicone spray?

Or, am I once again, at the mercy of my toyoto dealer, charging me an arm and a face, to replace a faulty door switch part, which is how they make their profit on parts and labor? Unbelievable!
Oh, and Yes, I do realize, some things, especially car parts, just do not live forever.

Going off topic. Paint.
Is it only me, or are Toyota paint jobs from this era, known to fail faster on their ext. tops, than wirh the rest of the body?
My ext. ceiling/top is completely faded, peeling, and lost most if it's original gloss/shine. I have a moon roof, but that shouldn't make any difference if Toyota made their paints, as good as their long running engines, this would not be a concern. This car has always been in SoCal all it's life, and has been parked outside, w/no carport or garage.
I could understand some peeling paint, but never to this extent. Well at least, I replaced my timing belt, water pump, and all hoses, at 85K, it just would be nice, if my paint lasted as long as the car's life would have.
Thank you all!

Old 07-04-2021, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Guessing a failed lock mechanism. The system has push/pull rods that move the locking lever, perhaps a rod came off. Easy fix if you can get to the problem. Suggest if you can to remove the door panel to investigate.

Any competent auto repair shop should be able to investigate the problem.

Is the paint or perhaps a clear coat peeling off? Determine if the car was repainted.

Old 07-18-2021, 01:02 AM

I had the same problem before I took my car to the worker and I bought a used lock for two doors