General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Camry 4 Cylinder P0770

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:19 PM
Default 2000 Camry 4 Cylinder P0770

Hello
I recently bought a 2000 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder.
I runs great. I drove it around 340 miles this past weekend to see friends. This was through mountainous roads. I used cruise control alot of the time, when possible.

On the way back my check engine light came on. I went to get it tested today and it came back P0770 Shift Solenoid E. I guess this is a transmission problem. I haven't noticed any problems with my car while I was driving it this weekend.

I just bought the car and the people had the transmission fluid changed and serviced before I bought it. The car passed emissions with flying colors as well.

How much does it cost for the solenoid to be cleaned? replaced?

Also how much does it cost for a new transmission (cost and labor)?

After my last car causing me LOTS of stress, I want to this to be as painless as possible. I am young and don't have alot of money or family around. I want to take good care of this car and I am willing to spend money to take care of it however I can't throw money into it mindlessly either.

Is this a serious problem? What happens if I don't fix it? What is the worst/best scenarios? Since I just bought this car and have only driven around 700 miles on it, should I go back to the previous owners and talk to them? What is reasonable for me to expect from them?

I am just worried this is going to be a mess!

Old 09-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

How many miles did you put on the car before the light came on?

The problem could be major or minor.

Minor in that it could be the shift solenoid on the trans as you state or a plugged passage where the solenoid mounts. The solenoid can be replaced without taking the trans out of the car. Part cost may be $100-150? plus labor.

Major if the issue is the torque converter clutch which required taking out the trans.

Suppose the previous owner could have reset the check light but who knows. If it took 700 miles for the light to come on the problem may have just started.

In conclusion, this is a common code (problem). Typically the fix is to replace the solenoid or clean out the passage. Many car owners who do their own work will replace the part on their own. Replacement requires taking off the trans oil pan.

Less typically the problem is the torque converter clutch.

To know what the problem is find a competent repair shop that will actually diagnose and repair the problem rather then state you need a new trans (as common with trans repair shops).

Old 09-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Default update...

I put around 500 miles on my car before the light came on. Then I continued to drive it 250 miles home and it did fine.

The car has 130K miles on it total.

I continues to drive well. I took it to a Toyota dealer today to see what it would cost and he immediately told me that the code P0770 was the death code and that I needed to get a new transmission. He never even looked at my car.

I freaked out, I really hope this isn't the case. I am taking it to a different car shop to get a second opinion.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Suggest finding another dealer or repair shop that will actually do some diagnostic work.

The issue can be one of the following:

Bad shift solenoid E, this can be replaced without taking the trans out.

Blockage of valve body typically do to crud in the oil. The body can be blown out or removed without taking the trans out of the car.

Lockup clutch. This clutch is on the torque converter. This would require taking the trans out of the car but not taking it apart as the converter is in a separate section ahead of the main trans.

An component internal to the trans such as brake, clutch, etc. If so then the trans needs to be removed and taken apart.

The first three items are much more common then the last.