General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking from timing belt cover when engine is cold

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Default Ticking from timing belt cover when engine is cold

95 camry 4cyl. When my engine is cold at first start up the timing belt ticks and it sounds like it is hitting the cover, I can actually put my hand in the exact spot and feel it. After the engine runs for a bit it stops. My guess is the tensioner is going bad or something? This is where the bottom cover and the top cover meet at a spot where there is a round spot in the cover where one of the guides or tensioners are at. Why would it do this when it is cold then stop when warm?

This never happened till I replaced the rear motor mount, weird as it may sound. My rear mount had completely collapsed and the bolt off the top broke and the motor was actually sitting about 4 inches lower than usual, and it was like that forever since I bought the car almost a year, so I replaced it and the others; couldnt take the shaking anymore. I am in the process of replacing and fixing a bunch of crap that the previous owner neglected to pay attention to. I only paid 600 for the car and the motor is in pretty good shape except this problem now. If I take out the bolt where the two timing covers meet that holds then down it gives it enough room so that it doenst make this sound. The timing belt it actually new as well, I guess the components need to be changed such as the tensioner. Other than that the motor is in good shape as well as the tranny.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

It could be the cover is just to close to the idle or other pulley. Perhaps moving the engine around during mount replacement also pushed the cover around.

The cover keeps out debris, might just leave the bolt out until you have time to remove the upper cover and take a look. The idlers seldom fall apart, they typically make noise as the bearing wears.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:00 AM

Ya I just left the bolt out till I have the time to take the upper mount off and fully take the timing belt cover off and check things out. I checked the timing and everything is ok, I took a peek inside the cover where I could kind of pull it open a bit and it all looks good, but wont fully know till I get everything off. Yes when I had to replace the rear mount the engine was moved around a LOT trying to get it in, it wasnt that easy of a job at all. I left the dog mount attached while doing it since its flexible and that mount is attached to a bracket that is right next to the covers, so I think I just maybe moved the cover a bit. I wish I had taken pictures of that rear mount it was completely collapsed in and the bolt had broken off the engine was sitting 4 inches lower than normal maybe more. Whoever had that car before neglected it a LOT, I got it cheap and have turned it into a dependable car. Thanks for the input