General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 camry no start

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 10:41 PM
Default 2002 camry no start

recently lost power while driving my 2002 4dr sedan 2.4 2AZFE motor.. turns out had to replace coil packs and set the timing.. now I have no pulse at the injector harness... changed plugs and wires as well .. compression is lower than optimal.. but why would it run one day and not after the repairs.. cam sensor reading 1000ohms. I tested one at the parts store and the newer one read 1240... I have good spark and can smell fuel... any comments...thanks

Old 05-21-2017, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Both sensors resistance are within range for a cold part.

Is the resistance reading of your part stable or does start to increase or decrease if you keep the meter connected longer then just to take a brief reading?

How was it determined the coil and wires were the problem? Any trouble codes? Since the engine did not start, how were these parts confirmed to be the problem?

What are you using to determine there is no pulse?

There is the smell of fuel with plugs installed and as such an external issue (fuel not from injectors and plug holes in head)?

Old 05-21-2017, 10:49 PM

pulled coils to check plugs.. cranked in dark without disabling fuel system.. no spark at two and 4.. that's why smelled fuel.. you can hear the pump engage when you turn the key on... change plugs and wires.. see that spark is strong at all four.. thinking the crank sensor is therefore good.. reinstall.. and still no start.. pull valve cover .. see slipped chain.. broken wear pad at chain guide.. repair and set timing.. still no start .. that's when check cam \sensor and injedctor harness with test light..
WTF
your ball

Old 05-21-2017, 10:55 PM

cant find my scan tool bag where the list of codes I cleared.. thinking resulted from cranking with harness disconnected.. could the cat be plugged?
this thing wont even sputter on ether even with good spark
something is preventing from starting
ECM? PCM?

Old 05-22-2017, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

If the timing chain/gear timing become off, recheck timing again.

Any issues with miswiring to coils?

How about crank sensor?

A plugged CAT can cause none starting. But should be preceded by poor MPG and lack of power. Try removing the A/F sensors and determine if the engine now starts or tries to start.

If the plugs are in and the intake air hose off. A plugged CAT can cause fuel vapor back flow out the throttle body.

A prolonged misfire can heat the CAT to the point of melting. How long was the engine misfiring?