General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 camry temp gauge/thermostat question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 03:41 PM
Default 2004 Camry Temp Gauge/Thermostat Question

I had a slight radiator leak for quite some time, never overheated, never had to refill the radiator or coolant between scheduled maintenance.

From day one, my temp. gauge's needle stayed a hair after the second line on the gauge, never budged once, even with the leak.

In fact, my temp. gauge sometimes recently started reading below that mark occasionally, (then return to normal, the next time I would use the car) for about the last two months.

I just had radiator replaced, reverse flushed, new OME thermo., everything the radiator shop recommended.

Now my gauge is stabilizing slightly after the halfway point. If I let the car idle for a few minutes, the temp. needle goes up to two lines before the red overheat area, until I rev the engine.

I used to let my care idle for almost an hour at a time on many occasions in the past, with the factory thermostat, and the temp. needle never budged, even with the slight leak and my AC on.

I brought it back to the shop and they said my original factory thermo. was defective/running too cool, this new OME is running at the correct/newer hotter temp.
I also notice now that if I'm stopped at a light, my AC doesn't get as cool, until I start driving again.

I purchased a factory thermostat for my XLE at Toyota and wanted the radiator shop to put that one in, but claimed my old gauge readings were too cool and are supposed to be where they are now, slightly after the halfway point.

Are they correct? Where is normal for your '04 XLE's needle?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by 2004camryxle; 08-11-2015 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Put title caps in the thread tiele
Old 08-11-2015, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by 2004camryxle
...I also notice now that if I'm stopped at a light, my AC doesn't get as cool, until I start driving again..
I just wanted to clarify that in the past when driving and stopping at a light, my AC fan would possibly blow air at a slightly less-forceful rate, not with warmer air though.

Stopping at a light with this new thermostat I notice a measurable drop in cool air, 'til I start driving again.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

What engine V6 or 4 cylinder?

Does the temp gauge needle still go up at engine idle as outlined in your first post? If so, again what did the dealer state was the reason the needle was now moving, when before the repairs it did not?

Old 08-13-2015, 12:47 AM

Thanks for replying.

it's a 4 cylinder-2.4

I had the the radiator replaced at a small radiator chain, hence the OME thermostat.

I did go to a Toyota dealership today to return the unopened thermostat (that I wanted the radiator shop to put in).

A Toyota mechanic offered to do a quick visual exam for free. We revved the engine and the gauge went back to it's "new"normal spot, though I hadn't idled it beforehand. He stated that maybe my original thermostat was a 160 degree, and this one is rated at 190 degrees. It seemed OK to him, but for me to keep an eye on it.

I can understand that the new "normal" resting spot for my temp gauge is now at a higher marking, I just can't buy the fact that the the temp gauge rises and settles so intermittently...my Toyota SR5, Acura, nor Camaro never ever did.

As I said earlier, with my factory radiator and thermostat, the temp gauge never budged once the engine warmed up, even when idling with the AC on and the slight radiator leak. So I will let it idle for a good while tomorrow (as the outside temp hasn't been in the nineties as it was a few days ago), and then give an update.

Last edited by 2004camryxle; 08-13-2015 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

180F is the OEM thermostat and 170F the alternative.

If you do let the car idle, find a thermometer. Remove radiator cap (engine cold) and let engine heat up as you measure the temp. Determine what temp the coolant fans comes on and at what temp they switch to high speed.

Your original cooling setup was functioning OK in that the gauge never moved. The T-stat is supposed to open/close to compensate for coolant temp. The radiator fans also turn on/off based based on coolant temp. Between the two, unless the coolant system is grossly over tasked, the gauge needle should not move once the engine up to operating temp.

If the temp gauge is working OK, the needle being higher means the coolant temp is higher.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:47 PM

Thanks for replying.

The needle stabilized and stays a little over the halfway area now.
Since I have the OEM, it does get a little warmer (the mechanic said that would save me gas as the fans would turn on less!).
I don't know how much gas I'd be saving yearly though.

I'll try the thermometer reading soon just for the heck of it.

Maybe after I find out why I keep losing Airport connection (WiFi) on my MacBook (I'm having to use the library's computers lately) I'll buy the Toyota thermo, as it's only $40 or so, and there's no state tax here, and put that in, 'cause as mentioned earlier at 190k plus miles, I want to baby that engine.

Thanks again, toyomoho