General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 Toyota Camry ? About how to tighten power steering belt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:23 AM
Default 87 Toyota Camry ? About how to tighten power steering belt?

Hello I have a 87 Camry manual 4 cylinder. I have 2 questions if you could please help me with them.
1 How do you tighten the power steering pump? If you have a website that shows instructions and pictures of how to do this that would be great.
2 How do you know if the power steering belt is not tight enough?

Old 02-01-2010, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator

The Autozone website may have this info in their vehicle repair section.

There would be two bolts that need to be loosened then the pump can be moved in or out to loosen or tighten the belt tension.

There is a device that measures belt tension however most people don't have one. The belt needs to be tight enough not to slip when the steering wheel is turned but not too tight as this will put extra load on the pump bearings.

Install the belt and move the pump to take out the slack until the belt has about 1/4 inch more or less inch deflection. Tighten bolts and start car to check for slipping (belt will squeal). If there is noise move the pump to decrease the deflection.

Ideally the belt should be tight enough not to slip (squeal) when turning the steering wheel and perhaps a little more as the belt will stretch a little over time.

Once you start the process you will learn quickly if the belt is too loose.

Snug down the bolt on the adjusting arm a little then pry out the pump to obtain tension. This will keep the pump from moving when you fully tighten the bolts.

The article below may help:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=197977

Old 02-02-2010, 02:48 AM

Thanks very much for your help this is quite helpful. Does auto zone offer repair instructions on their website I have never seen it on their site please advise thanks.
Dave

Old 02-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, the site has a vehicle repair section, see link below:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...nfoLanding.jsp

You will need to sign up to get a user name/password to use the site but this is easy enough to do.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:14 PM

Thanks very much for the info I did not know that about the auto zone website you guys are the best on here you rock....
Thanks again
Dave