General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blinkers/gauge lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 09:21 AM
Default Blinkers/gauge lights not working

Sup Camry Famry,

All of my '91's blinkers quit working a few weeks ago. At the same time the gauge and front side marker lights stopped. This happened when I swapped the gauge set from my '88 Camry, so I thought I shorted a circuit since I had the ignition on during the swap. But all the fuses and the two relays in the driver's footwell fuse block are good. In addition, these 3 failures are on different circuits. These lights don't work when I reinstall the original gauge set. I'm thinking they share a common ground which is bad (there is some rust on the car), but I have no idea where to look.

I can't get my car inspected/registered so I can't drive it. Any help is greatly appreciated!

- Danny

Old 03-23-2020, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Check for 12v power and proper ground to chassis at the turn and indicator light sockets. The white/black wire is ground.

Front LH turn signal has same ground point as front clearance lights.

Taillight relay and taillight fuse power front side markers and combo meter lights.

Turn and Haz-turn power turn signals.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Front LH turn signal has same ground point as front clearance lights.

Taillight relay and taillight fuse power front side markers and combo meter lights.

Turn and Haz-turn power turn signals.
Thanks a lot for the advice, Joey. I'll check the ground for the front left turn light. However I have no idea what in Blue Blazes your last two sentences mean.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

The Taillight Relay powers the taillight fuse which powers the front side markers and combo meter lights.

The Turn and Haz-Turn fuses power the turn signals and hazard lights.

Determine if the turn signals operate when hazard lights are on.

Old 03-26-2020, 01:09 PM

Update - when all of the blinkers did not work, the hazard switch was not plugged in (I had not reinstalled the gauge bezel after the gauge swap). After plugging in the hazard switch, the rear blinkers worked when either the blinker was operated or the hazard button was pushed, but the front blinker lights never blinked. A friend said it could be a bad blinker switch. I'm not sure if my '88's blinker switch is the same as my '91's (the one that doesn't work), but my next step is to try to swap them.

Am I on the right track? Thanks!

Old 03-26-2020, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Power first goes to the hazard switch. Then if the hazards are OFF, power then goes to the blinker switch.

The passengers side F/R lights are on the same circuit, ditto for the passengers side F./R lights together.

If the rear lights are working but not the front, could be a wiring or connection issue.