General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 Camry won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Default 93 Camry won't turn over

As title says she won't turn over. Battery is good and stater is good. I have had this problem very intermittently over the past few years, usually after I start it up and turn it off and try to restart within about 5 minutes. So it is now my second string vehicle and I haven't been driving it nearly as much. The problem seems to have gotten progressively worse as it's not been driven everyday. Now it won't start (turn over) at all. Good battery and starter. Could this be a relay? ignition switch? safety switch in the auto shifter? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

The starter does not operate when you turn the ign key to start?

What does happen when you turn the key to start?

Do the lights on the dash dim, any clicking noise?

How did you test the starter?

Have you check the battery terminals and cables, ground cable between engine and chassis, ground point for battery cable, cable between battery and solenoid?

Have you tried starting the key with trans in Neutral?

Typically the starter solenoid electrical contacts fail resulting in only a click noise when attempting to start the engine.

If you think it is the Park/Neutral switch, use a voltmeter to check for 12V at the small wire connected to the solenoid when the ign key is turned to start. Or jump the connection on the solenoid with 12V from the hot side battery cable on the solenoid.

If you think it is the solenoid, jump the battery cable hot side terminal to the starter motor terminal with a large diameter section of wire.

If you think it is the battery cables, or other cable. Use jumper cables to jump the battery cable running from the solenoid to the battery. Connect the other cable from the battery to a point on the engine block or bracket (not a fuel line).

If it is the solenoid contacts, they can be replaced. The Toyota dealers sells a replacement set.