General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Camry Won't Turn Over

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 10:56 AM
Default 96 Camry Won't Turn Over

Yesterday morning I hopped in my 96 Camry to drive over to my parents'. It started with no issues, but I only got about a block before it suddenly died. I tried to restart it, but the engine wouldn't turn over. I pushed it over to the side of the road, and popped the hood. I noticed a sizeable amount of oil that had apparently leaked from the oil filter. I checked the oil level and it seemed to be low. I wondered if the level was too low and the engine might have seized, but the oil pressure light has not been on at all.

This morning I went back to try the car again. When I turn the key all of the electronics come on, and there's a click and a whirring sound that I assume is the starter motor trying to turn the engine over, but the engine doesn't engage. I checked the oil again, and it shows a decent level (about 2/3 on the dipstick).

Any thoughts on what the issue might be? Is it possibly a bad sensor? Some other factor?

Last edited by dmshep; 12-26-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:08 PM

Generally speaking, it will be the battery, the starter, the plugs or the fuel. Sounds like maybe the starter is engaging. When you turn on the key can you hear the fuel pump engage for a few seconds? Is the Check Engine Light (CEL) coming on?

You can take the battery to AutoZone or a similar shop - they test them for free. if you do not have enough cranking amps you cannot turn the engine over. If you have a plug wire failure you should get the CEL illuminated.

Last edited by DIYDad; 12-26-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

The starting and oil leak issue may not be linked, but find the leak!

Is the engine turning over or the starter motor not engaging the engine?

Old 12-26-2014, 05:37 PM

Was thinking the same thing Joey - that the leak is something different, probably.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by DIYDad
Generally speaking, it will be the battery, the starter, the plugs or the fuel. Sounds like maybe the starter is engaging. When you turn on the key can you hear the fuel pump engage for a few seconds? Is the Check Engine Light (CEL) coming on?
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I believe I can hear the fuel pump engage. This is what it sounds like when I turn the the key (there's a whirring sound that I'm guessing is the fuel pump):

https://soundcloud.com/davidmshepherd/car-not-cranking

The CEL comes on as well. I don't hear any clicks indicating the starter is engaging.

You can take the battery to AutoZone or a similar shop - they test them for free. if you do not have enough cranking amps you cannot turn the engine over. If you have a plug wire failure you should get the CEL illuminated.
Don't all the lights normally illuminate when starting the vehicle?

I'll try a jump start to see if it might be the battery. If not that, then I'll look into the starter and plug wires. Thanks!

The starting and oil leak issue may not be linked, but find the leak!

Is the engine turning over or the starter motor not engaging the engine?
Was thinking the same thing Joey - that the leak is something different, probably.

The engine is not turning over. There's just a whirring sound which I take to be the fuel pump. Thanks for the reassurance on the oil leak. It will be addressed as soon as I get this thing running again. Hoping it's just a bad gasket on the oil filter.

Last edited by dmshep; 12-27-2014 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

You may be over thinking the problem.

The oil leak and starting issue could be separate.

Rare but has happened a filter can have a bad gasket, gasket left off, threaded portion of filter incomplete or not present, or the filter may not have been tightened enough. This can cause leakage but for most of these issues the engine would have run out of oil already.

If this is a 4-cylinder engine there may also be an oil cooler between the filter and the engine. The cooler is round and has a couple of small dia pipes running to it. Is has happened the gasket between the cooler and block leaks.

Once you get the engine started, clean the area around filter/cooler/block and check for leaking oil. Might also be the valve cover gasket or something else.

The fuel pump will not run unless the engine is running or cranking over. And you most likely will not be able to hear the pump. Its location is inside the tank under the rear seat behind the drivers seat. If you think it is the pump listen in this area.

If the ign key is turned to ON, it is normal for all the dash icons (indicator lights) to illuminate including the check light.

As the starting issue.

If the battery becomes disconnected the engine will quit. Don't run the engine with the battery disconnected!

Could be bad battery cable connection. Read up on the internet for cleaning the battery lugs and battery cable end terminals then clean them.

Or dead battery. Use a volt meter to determine battery charge. Volts should be around 12.8 after sitting for 15 minutes.

Try jumping the battery with another battery to determine if the engine will now turn over. Be careful to only connect positive to positive and negative to negative with the batteries. If jumping from another car, before connecting battery, turn on your cars headlights (yes) and the the other cars engine off. This will help prevent electrical surges that could damage things.

Last edited by toyomoho; 12-27-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by dmshep

The CEL comes on as well. I don't hear any clicks indicating the starter is engaging.

Don't all the lights normally illuminate when starting the vehicle?

I'll try a jump start to see if it might be the battery. If not that, then I'll look into the starter and plug wires. Thanks!
You'll get all the indicators as you crank over, but does the CEL stay on? If so then that may be indicating your issue. If you get it started with a jump, then you zeroed in on the battery.