General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93' V6 camry transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 04:27 AM
Default 93' V6 camry transmission problem

Hi, first post here!
My partner was drivingour 93' Camry Vienta through a roundabout today when it suddenly lost all gears, (behaved as in neutral). When left to sit for about 10 seconds it will fix itself up. Pop in drive: works, reverse: works, drive: works, reverse: stops working... all gears lost. Turn off, wait ten seconds. start it; same thing: works, works, works, stops working after about 10 seconds. Does it again and again.
Normally when its on its way out it will work when cold and then stops when it gets warm or hot, but this seems to be different.

Hopefully someone knows this problem and has a fix. Otherwise I'm thinking about doing a filter and fluid change tomorrow, to see if it improves things as a first step in fixing it, final step...... being the replacing the transmission.

Thanks!

Last edited by DatsunZebedi; 12-26-2016 at 04:31 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Automatic transmission?

If so have you checked the transmission fluid level?

If auto try all gears L to D and R.

Could be a plugged up trans filter causing lack of fluid flow.

If not the filter, low fluid, the trans doesn't work in any gear the issue is internal.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Automatic transmission?

If so have you checked the transmission fluid level?

If auto try all gears L to D and R.

Could be a plugged up trans filter causing lack of fluid flow.

If not the filter, low fluid, the trans doesn't work in any gear the issue is internal.
Thanks for the reply Toyo,
Yes the fluid level looks fine. Will head down and grab a trans service kit and fluid soon, drain the pan and converter, clean up the pan, refill, and see if it will start running through the gears- fingers crossed!

Will let you know how it goes.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:47 AM

Looks like it was just really dirty oil and filter... all good now touch wood. Thanks

Old 12-27-2016, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Great!

One other tip to keep the trans from failing prematurely is to make sure the car is fully stopped before shifting directions.

Check if the trans has a separate differential housing having its own fluid. Look around the differential housing (where axles plug in) for a fill plug on the side or back. If so might drain and refill (drain plug under housing). Uses the same trans fluid.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:39 PM

Thanks JP.
I will have a look for the seperate diff housing... thanks for the heads up.
Just relieved I don't have to be pulling and fitting FWD transmissions.
I am impressed with the Camrys robustness, .....why I chose her for my partners run around.
Now I've got to replace the rear window winder mechanism... the little cable for the wind down has popped out and chewed itself up a bit, in turn popping the windup cable out, and warping all the housings a little bit. Tried repairing it but would be easier (much) and better just to install a working one
Thanks for the replies

Old 12-28-2016, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

This year of Camry is a solid car.

While your at it, check the power steering fluid condition. If dark change it.

This can easily be done by drawing out the fluid in the reservoir with a modified meat baster. Or a dedicated hand tool used to draw out oil from gear boxes that have no drain plug.

Refill with proper fluid (typical trans fluid). Change the fluid between drives until its clear after driving.

What is the rear window winder mechanism?

Old 12-30-2016, 04:56 AM

Thanks JP,

The power steering fluid is still nice and red, thanks for the heads up.

The winder mechanism, is what the window winder handle attaches to. Not sure if you had manually wound windows for this year in the US? We certainly had them in Australia! I only realised this was a US based forum after I'd originally posted earlier. I'll post some pics of it when I get round to the repair in case anyone's interested.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Great, thanks!