General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Camry Blown Main Fuse???

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:35 PM
Default 94 Camry Blown Main Fuse???

Hi All, I have a 94 Camry that had a cigarette lighter that did not work... so I decided to wire a second on into the fuse panel in the drivers side dash. I added it to the #24 15 amp fuse that handled the old lighter as well as the radio and so much more ( as I later discovered).
I finished wiring in the new lighter and had my GPS plugged in and everything was fine. I disconnected the GPS and began taping up the wires while I had the car running. I touched the hot wire to the ground and everything shut down. I turn the key and nothing happens. No idiot lights (except the door open light) NO radio etc...
I checked and replaced the the fuse that I had been using as well as checked all others. NO LUCK.
I popped the hood and checked those fuses including #37/starting system. Back inside on the passenger side kick panel my son looked for and checked for a blown fuse there.
I went back to the drivers side and looked for fuses 33.34,35 but did not find them.. My son did see what appeared to be relays that were up behind the diagnostics (IBD1 ?)plug
I also removed the Negative battery terminal and after 5 minutes reconnected it ...no luck
HELP
Thanks, Craig

Old 07-10-2014, 09:50 PM

I went back out to the car and rechecked what I could ....In THE Dark.
Some addt'l info...W/key in ON position the power locks work but the windows do not. No Blinkers
4 way flashers ok, all lights ok
I just have no idea where The Mystery Blown Fuse is ?
Any Help greatly Appreciated

Old 07-11-2014, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Cig/Radio fuse runs to the AM1 side of the ign switch (the switch is actually two ganged switches), then to the 40A AM1 fusible link. Check this fuse.

This fuse may be bolted to the wiring behind the fuse panel. It may not pull out may need to be unbolted. Location is behind drivers side ash tray/coin box on far left side of dash. The tray/box door can be removed to reveal the panel.

The internet may have photo's or video on replacing these fusible links.

If fusible link is blow, obtain new one which will determine how it is installed.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:40 PM
Default thanks

Joey
Thanks for your answer.
I called Toyota and the service advisor said the 40 amp that I needed to check was under the hood next to the battery. I had already checked this and did replace it as well as any other fuses on that circuit.
I called AARP and had thecar taken to the dealer...where a friend of my sons happens to work.
They looked at it on Friday sat and Monday with no luck.
I saw your reply but the car was at the dealer so I just waited.
On Wednesday I got a call that it was fixed.
The tech had found the fuse that only you knew about.
He also fixed a broken wire in the trunk that caused the R/ Reverse indicator to come on when I hit the brakes.
The bill was $120 for the diagnostics and $0 for the repair.
I picked it up this morning and this evening my son installed a cigarette lighter element (from the rear armrest of a Q45 that I have)
So now I can take another trip and have a GPS in case I need it.
By the way I have 294700 miles on it.
Thanks for your help.
If you ever have a question about an OPEL ask me. I collect them as well as a few others but My Camry is my daily driver and long distance car.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Glad to hear it is fixed and for relatively cheap.
I know a little but about Opels because my dad had a GT briefly. I might not remember this right, but I believe it had a small Ferrari quad cam V6. Does that sound right? I think the engine was put into the Opel so that they met some racing requirement, but I might be wrong.