General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:50 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

94 Camry Wont Stop Running

Old 01-19-2014, 04:39 PM
Default 94 Camry Wont Stop Running

So I had an issue where I'd get a click from the starter but it wouldnt start up everytime but eventually yes. It was diagnosed as a bad alternator, probably a diode. Before I could change the alternator I had to keep operating it the way that I had been. I started it and on this particular time it tried to start but then almost died and started back up running normally but the emergency brake dash indicator stayed lit. This concerned me so I turned the key to switch the engine off but the engine kept attempting to turn over as though it was trying to start itself with no key. When I put the key back in the ignition and turned it only to acc the engine turns over and starts. I have to remove the negative battery cable and turn it off with the key for the engine to stop it but then with the key still removed if I touch the negative cable to the battery terminal it will spark and the engine will continue to attempt to start so long as theres contact. I drove the 3 minutes home in this condition and smoke came profusely from the section of my car near my alternator and into the inside of the car as well. I waited and the smoke eventually subsided. If I replace my alternator will this fix the entire issue or am I now looking at a much bigger issue than just a bad alternator? I greatly appreciate any advice...

Old 01-19-2014, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

You state when the negative battery terminal is connected the starter runs, engine starts and starter continues to run?

The starter draws a LOT of current. If the starter was running along with engine for so long the wiring or alt may have been overloaded and become very hot burning the insulation. Look for burned wires running to the alt, burned wiring connections at alt and signs of overheating of the alt. You need to find the source of the smoke which should be obvious then fix any damage.

The emergency brake dash indicator comes on the E-brake engaged or the fluid in the brake reservoir is too low. The reservoir has a float switch.

If the car starts the issue may be a bad ign key switch or wiring problems. For the starter to operate and engine start the ign key system come into play.

Find stater motor solenoid. There is a SMALL electrical wire connected to the solenoid (which eventually routes routes back to the ign switch). Disconnect this wire then touch negative cable to battery. If engine no longer cranks over the issue is in the ign key switch, a small relay between the switch and starter solenoid or wiring.

Don't leave ign switch on too long as power could be running to the injectors, ign coil, etc. If you have a voltmeter can determine if these are now powered when battery cable is connected and ign key to off. If so, then look at ign key switch or wiring problem.

Post back with findings.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:06 AM

Thanx so much! I looked for burned wires and saw plenty burned locations on my negative battery cable and also on the positive battery cable but near the starter. Upon further inspection of the starter it was physically evident that it had overheated and was burnt. I removed the battery and tray, removed the air filter compartment (to access more burnt wiring) and removed the visibly burned wires, splicing and wire nutting good cable in its place. I replaced the starter and replaced the alternator and after a test drive no more problem! Hallelujah!....Unfortunately I also have a bad oil leak but I'm not sure if its worth trying to fix.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Great job! Thanks for posting back with fix.