General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 2.2 camry automatic

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 09:59 AM
Default 98 2.2 camry automatic

Hi i have a 98 2.2 Camry automatic. I was coming home from work . I stopped at the a shop. When i pulled away every thing was fine until i hit the freeway. I was traveling at about 60 km and she would not change to third gear. I drove about maybe four km meters the Reeves went higher and higher when it reached 3000 revs the gears disregard completely. But it stays in second gear .

I pulled off and checked if the oil levels are correct or if any thing disconnected from the gear box . I did not find any problems . I even though to check all the fuses but found no problems. I pulled away and she drives well but still did not change to third gear still.

I arrive home driving very slow. I checked again for a damage cable or an oil leak. But to no avail. I replaced the oil and the oil filter . Started it up and waited to warm up . I kept it on a round about 2000 revs for two minutes. I pulled away fine like before but still did not change to third gear.

I took out the gear box and sent it for repair. They replaced all the gears . I reassemble the engine and gearbox . I warmed it up again and took it for a drive . But still have the same out come.

I no clue as to what else the problem can be please advise

Old 06-14-2022, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Are you stating the transmission was overhauled or supposedly fixed?

Does the transmission work OK but the ONLY problem is doesn't go into 3rd gear?

The transmission DOES NOT slip or the car shake when you accelerate?

Have someone slowly move the shifter arm from Park to Low and back while you watch the shift lever on the transmission move. Make sure the lever moves in sync with each shifter arm gear change and actually moves to the 3rd gear location on the transmission..

The transmission has the ability to shift electrically via the transmission electric solenoids and cars computer, and manually shift via the hydraulic valves which can be moved manually via the shift lever.

Shift manually to Low then drive. As the cars speeds up shift to 2nd and then to 3rd. Count the gear shifts as in Low is gear 1, shift to 2nd is 2, etc.

The issue is the transmission has what Toyota calls an overdrive feature. This setup locks the torque converter which will simulate a higher gearing to lower engine RPM. Could be the transmission is OK but the overdrive is not.

Old 06-20-2022, 06:14 AM
Default Not changing to third gear

Hi thank you for your response.

I started the car waited it to warm up.
i then put it in the low gear and slowly pulled away then moved it to the second gear . Then i put it into
Drive gear but still does not change to third gear.

as i am changing the gears she changers very smooth and soft no shuddering at all
I put the overdrive off and drive agian and still no
change.

I LOOSENED The oil pipes on the radiator and found the there was no oil in them
can the radiator get blocked. I tried blowing
Into the radiator. But it was very difficult to blow.

can it be that it is blocked

Old 06-20-2022, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

No oil at all, not even a thin film of oil on the inside of the hose?

One hose from the trans is trans fluid coming out under pressure. The other hose to the trans dumps it into the trans pan.

The trans radiator is just a pipe connecting the in/out fittings. Its not fancy in design like the coolant radiator.

Find the hose that goes to the trans pan. One can blow air through this hose and hear it exhaust into the pan. Connect up all hoses but this one to the trans. Obtain a container to capture trans fluid from this hose. With emergency brake on and trans in Park start engine and watch for trans fluid coming out this hose. At engine idle, the fluid will flow out slow, steady and NOT under a lot of pressure.

Stop engine. Don't let more then 2 quarts come out or the trans pump may run out.

Once done, refill trans with new fluid in the same amount that came out, if any come out.