General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All of a sudden no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The starter hums as in the starter motor rotates making a high pitched whining noise? Perhaps like metal grinding on metal?

Or hums and nothing happens?

If you are connecting a battery jumper cable between the +12V battery terminal and the large electrical connection lug on the starter motor (not starter solenoid). The ign key system is being bypassed.
Update: looking at the ignition as the source for all problems. Swapped in a new ignition switch from orileys. I disconnected the harness from the still mounted factory switch. Plugged into new switch. Then using a screwdriver I was able to start the car by turning the oval slot. But when I mounted the new switch and closed up the dash and used the key to start, I got nothing. So now do you all think it may be the lock cylinder? If so, do I need to buy the ones made for s chipped key since my key is chipped? How does that all work?

Old 04-20-2016, 07:00 AM

over to toyomoho to answer " how that chipped key system works on your toyota

sounds like the wrong ignition switch from orileys if a hard key ..ask if they would have one suiting your programmed /chipped key for you ..

so wierd ...the only way you can start the engine is by using the oval slot

try a new battery in the original chipped key .. and original ignition switch

Old 04-20-2016, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by dirty hands
over to toyomoho to answer " how that chipped key system works on your toyota

sounds like the wrong ignition switch from orileys if a hard key ..ask if they would have one suiting your programmed /chipped key for you ..

so wierd ...the only way you can start the engine is by using the oval slot

try a new battery in the original chipped key .. and original ignition switch
I did not realize/know a battery could be replaced on a chipped key. I do not see access to the inside like a screw or anything.
On another note, last nite I did the reverse of what I did with the ignition switch. I unplugged the harness of the newly mounted O'Rileys switch, plugged back into the old factory switch, turned the slot on the switch with a screw driver, and car started! Seeing that that orileys switch cost $80, I removed it, and remounted the old switch back on. Key still not starting car. If it happens to be related to the alarm or anti theft, where to check? Wondering still if the ignition cylinder is at fault. Pulled it out per the youtube video provided(thnx, btw!) and not sure what to look for that may be faulty

Old 04-20-2016, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Does the ign switch have a transponder amplifier? Wire colors are green/white, red/blue, blue/yellow, white/black, and black/yellow.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:33 PM

Can't remember the color scheme, but yes on 5 wire contacts on the switch, factory and replacement

Old 04-21-2016, 05:48 AM

not sure if it is your no start problem

on youtube is a battery change D I Y Toyota Key Fob Remote Keyless Battery Change

Last edited by dirty hands; 04-21-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

The amplifier wiring is in addition to the ign switch wiring.

Does the dash have a red light blinking when the engine does not start?

Old 04-21-2016, 12:15 PM

Yes on the red light blinking, Toyo.
Dirty, my chipped key is not a key with remote controls; it is a black ended key with a tiny clear, square shaped figure really close to the bottom of the black portion of the key. I know it's chipped cause I have a factory all steel key with no black encasing around the "handle" and it's only good for unlocking doors and won't start the car

Old 04-21-2016, 09:13 PM

Toyo, Dirty, and others, I just wanted to say thanks for the big assistance. Car started. All is good. So, in hopes of helping others, here's what came about:
So, new starter installed, starter relay, no go on the fix. New starter switch, yes started the car with a screwdriver, but not when mounted and with the OEM key. Old ignition switch was still good, and started with screwdriver, so back it went. Saved $80, but ignition key still wouldn't start it. Returned the switch. A buddy of mine asked me, when using the screwdriver method, if my OEM key was close by the ignition, and I say yes. He then tells me that the chipped key must still be good or else the screwdriver trick wouldn't work. So he's thinking the cylinder for the key must be faulted. I spent the $280 to get a new cylinder with 2 new chipped keys from Orileys. Before I went with that, I went thru the reprogramming steps with my old cylinder and OEM key to make sure my car didn't lose its sync with the original key. Still no start. Installed the overpriced new cylinder in, reprogrammed the 2 new keys, and bam!!! Car started!! So new cylinder and new chipped keys. So happy. Only downfall, is I still must use the factory key to unlock the doors manually, but no big deal. Just happy to have the 98 running again. Thanks so much for all the advice, links, and YouTube vids. Till next time.....be safe, all of you.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Great job!

Thanks for posting back with the fix.

For future reference by others, if the red light is blinking the immobilizer is activated.