General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Default Battery Drain

If a 1995 Camry is parked (with its engine OFF), will these activities cause the battery to drain such that the car won't start?
- All 4 doors are open for 30 minutes during cleaning (this causes the door open indicator on the dashboard to light up).
- Trunk is open for 30 minutes during cleaning (this causes the auxiliary trunk light to be ON and the trunk open indicator on the dashboard to light up).
Currently, the Camry starts the next day after these activities, but I am concerned about long-term effects.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Default RE: Battery Drain

It's more than just the door indicator, isn't it? Aren't your courtesy lights in the door on? The dome light too? Was the key in the on position? Blower fan on? How old is your battery?

Old 10-10-2007, 09:28 PM

I am asking for "preventative maintenance". The battery hasn't drained, so I'm curious if it is something I should be concerned with. There are no courtesy lights on the doors. The dome light is turned OFF manually. The key is not in the ignition, and not in the ON position. Blower fan, A/C, radio, headlights, etc. are OFF.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:41 PM

keyword here would be alternator....Its job is to make sure the battery has plenty of juice. Even if it did drain the battery persay just a little bit. Once you start it and drive it the alternator will correct any wrong doing. Besides batterys now days are made cheap so if your that worried just change it out with a good one. Perhaps checking the batterys acid levels would help i guess.. You could aways go get a voltage meter and do some test yourself.???

Old 10-10-2007, 10:46 PM

ORIGINAL: camown

I am asking for "preventative maintenance". The battery hasn't drained, so I'm curious if it is something I should be concerned with. There are no courtesy lights on the doors. The dome light is turned OFF manually. The key is not in the ignition, and not in the ON position. Blower fan, A/C, radio, headlights, etc. are OFF.
You have nothing to worry about regarding the cabin because there is no power being drawn off the battery since the dome light is in the off position. Regarding the trunk light being on while the trunk lid is open, this is negligible in my opinion.The trunk lightis such a low wattage light bulb that the power necessary to keep it on for 30 minutes occasionally (e.g. once a week or twice a month) is so small. Whatever little drain there would be on the battery would be replenished once the engine is next started and the car is run and the battery is allowed to be recharged by the alternator. So, in effect, I don't think you'll notice any difference long-term (i.e. over the course of a year or two).

Old 01-06-2009, 10:07 PM

I bought a 98 Camry. I was told that there was a short in the dome light and trunk light so the two bulbs were pulled out. When we wee trying to fix it my son in law found the wire on the trunk lid switch was pulled a little bit out of its plastic insulation and was resting on the metal catch inside the trunk. It was a easy fix. we put in both the trunk bulb and the dome light bulb and they are working.