General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken seat belt

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Default broken seat belt

I just bought a 2004 camry and the seatbelt will not retract. This is my only car, and I do not feel safe driving it. Can someone please tell me if there is a way to fix this? Can the cover be taken off and the seatbelt rolled back in? Is this a recurring problem? Is this considered a defect with Toyota? Should there be a recall for safety reasons??? HELP!!! Single MOM!!! thanks

Old 10-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Default there is hope! (I think!)

I had the same problem on my 1990 Camry. They would retract when I turned left, or sometimes when I hit a bump in the road.

Not sure about the later models, but yes, the 1990 has a way to manually retract them. I not only didn't want a ticket but wanted to use my seat belts.

If you take the trim panel off that covers the motor, at the bottom there is a black thumb wheel. You simply use a finger to turn this. It takes about 15-20 minutes to move it back because of the gearing in the unit, but once it's done, it's done. But, you MUST disconnect the harness to the motor if you move them back manually!!! Or a simple bump or jar can move them back to the forward position, defeating your goal.

If this does not work, let us know. I'll see what I can find out for you. Good luck!

Old 10-19-2010, 06:17 AM

Thanks for your response, but my seatbelt is manual, not electronic. guess I'll keep searching!

Old 10-19-2010, 07:01 AM
Red face

oh. oops! Shows how much I know about that year. LOL! Sorry.

I've had Fords that did that and it's usually a little spring thing broken inside, a simple fix most of the time if you get the unit unbolted. But I've found it easier just to replace them with used ones from a wrecking yard. Fords from the 70's were famous for that.

Good luck!

Old 10-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

This is a reasonable common problem on many make of cars.

The belt might be sticking in the plastic guides.

I doubt Toyota has a recall, you can always check with a Toyota dealer.

The side trim garnish panels can be removed, they pop out. Eventually you get to the actually seat belt device located on the lower portion of the center pillar the where you see the belt come out.

If the sticking is in the side panels, guide, etc. you may be able to tweak this to make it work better. If the sticking is in the actual seat belt reel assembly you need a new assy. The belt assy is a unit that can't or should not be tinkered with.

As far as safety goes. If you can manually retract the belt far enough that when you go to attach it you need to pull it out, then it OK to use.

Inspect the belt for fraying on the edges.

If you send a Private Message with email address can send a file having info taking the covers off.

You car may also have automatic pretensioners. This is a device the physically pulls the belt extremely snug if you get into an accident. You still need to have the belt manually snugged up as in normal driving, the device can only remove so much belt slack.

As far as what to do before the problem is fixed and it is failing to retract back after you undo it. You can usually manually retract the belt, often people get tired of this and just let the belt lay where it is. Just don't close the door on the belt or it can get damaged.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:33 PM

Thank you so much for all your info!!! Wish I was more mechanically inclined!!