General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camry suggestions - 92-96

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
You might check sites like Craigslist or Edmonds for car prices, the tend to vary with location and local demand.

I sent the info via email.
Thank you! That info was excellent!

I am checking craigslist often. I also check local or nearby kijiji and autotrader.

Do you think the V6 cars might be slightly more reliable than the 4? 'Or is the potential sludge issue mean it's the other way around? I prefer a V6 engine, though, and the fuel consumption isn't much worse, right?

I'm comparing the '97 to '00 Camry V6 to Maximas of similar or same years and it's a hard choice! Perhaps, that's a strange comparison but if I can find XLE V6, it's about 192hp v.s. 190 of a Maxima and there's many other similarities from my perspective. Did most Camrys of this generation get built in Kentucky by then? I read on a few sites (msn autos? carfax? I forget which one) which shows they were made both in Japan and Kentucky. I guess North American Camrys got all Kentucky-made cars? Any difference?

If I go with a Camry, I'd probably want the factory service manual and a OBDII reader. That info is great for insight of what issues there may be and what to look for. So useful for knowing what parts one might need!

Old 11-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

The sludge issue was over stated, less then 1% of engines. Supposedly the V6 was effected more. Again if you remove a valve cover you can look for this problem.

Not sure on US versus Japan cars. The VIN number should have a J at the start for Japan, US cars may have a 1 or 4.

There is also a sticker on the drivers door stating where it was built. Supposedly Camry were being built in the US as early as 1988ish.

US west coast dealers still received many Japan cars most likely due to cheaper shipping and handling coming from Japan.

Not sure about quality issues, if the car was being built since 1988 in the US Toyota should have already ironed out the quality issues.

I think the US plant was to stave off US government protection policies against imported cars.

I prefer the 4 cylinder as better mileage and easier to work on. The V6 takes up a lot of engine room. For commuter driving on mild hills, fwy, etc, the 4 cylinder is fine. They also held their value when gas was hitting $4/gal a year or so ago.

Both engines are very good in design and operation. Toyota has used the 4 cylinder from 1992-2001. The V6 even longer. Thus parts are readily available.

Get what you want, you are the one that will be driving the car.