General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Default car wont start

car: 1994 toyota camry I4 AT 15x,xxx[/align][/align]i was on vacation for 2 weeks and the camry was sitting in the garage the whole time. when i came back to move the camry out of the garage it started up fine. this was on saturday. now monday comes and the cars been sitting on the driveway since saturday, i get in the car and turn the key and nothing happens. the lights in the gauge cluster turn on and the clock thats located on top of the a.c vents. when i turned the key the clock dimmed to where you cant see it anymore and when i turn the key back to the point where you can pull it out the clock comes back.(some sort of powerdrain?)[/align][/align]i tried cleaning the battery terminals and checked the wires, i also tried recharging the battery incase if it was low.[/align][/align]now what could be causing this problem? can someone please tell me what size battery should be used for this car for some reason the battery that i have just looks to small for the car. also can this be a problem with the starter?[/align][/align]forgot to mention that on monday when i started the car at first there was this clicking noise, but after a few turns of the key that clicking sound went away. now theres just no sound at all just a turn a of the key and no noise at all.[/align][/align]any help will be appreciated[/align]

Old 01-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Default RE: car wont start

Still sounds like battery. Most parts stores can check for you. They can also test starter if you pull it and take it in. You could try cleaning the starter connections after disconnecting the battery positive terminal.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Default RE: car wont start

thanks. ill pull the battery and take it to the local auto store and ask them to test it. hopefully thats the problem and not something bigger. also can someone tell me the location of the starter, i know how it looks and have the tools to take it out. i just want to know where to look incase i cant find it. thanks.