General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clutch Adjustment on '07?

Old 12-20-2013, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator
Default Clutch Adjustment on '07?

I have an '07 Camry CE with 5 speed manual tranny, I was wondering if there is a mechanical adjustment that is done at the pedal to manage free play and engagement? I feel that the catch point is on the floor. I am also experiencing some sluggish and clunky shifting when the tranny is cold. I assume that I need to change the fluid as the car has a 125K miles and I have no idea if it has been changed. I plan to use Amsoil GL-4 75W-90 for the change. Any opinions there? Is it possible the fluid change will make the cold weather shifting better?
Toyomoho- I look forward to your response, bro! I always appreciate your knowledge!

Old 12-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Your experience with catch point might be normal. Review adjustment procedures.

Pedal height from floor is 5.8-6.2 inches +/-. Measure from floor pan below carpet to an imaginary line extending out the bottom of pedal in same plane (at same angle) as floor pan. There is an adjustment above the pedal arm pivot fulcrum bolt.

Pedal Free Play is 0.2-0.6 inches +/- along same line as above.

The clutch system incorporates a push rod between salve cylinder and clutch fork. To check for push rod Clearance, when checking pedal free play once resistance is felt continue pressing until pedal resistance increases (clutch starts to engage), should be 0.04-0.2 inches +/- of movement. Could adjust for min travel to engage at engage clutch sooner.

The adjustment for both is below pedal height adjustment and a few inches closer to firewall.

To check Clutch Release Point.
Put emergency brake on and block wheels to prevent car movement BACKWARDS under engine load.
Start engine and at idle.
With clutch NOT pushed in slowly engage gear into reverse until gears engage.
Gradually depress clutch and measure pedal stroke distance from time gear noise stops to floor.

Note floor is without carpet.

Standard distance is 0.98 inches, distance measured vertically from front of pedal. If not OK and all other settings OK, try bleeding hydraulic line or may have clutch issues.

Suppose could also adjust stops nuts at the actual push rod arm for min clearance but Toyota does not list an adjusting procedure for this. The idea to take out all the travel but still have clutch released when pedal extended.

Trans should be an E-351 capacity 5.3 quarts.

Check owners manual for trans fluid viscosity and spec such as GL-4 or 5 and use same Amsoil type recommended (if brand desired). You list GL-4, Amsoil site recommends GL-5, find out what spec Toyota recommends and use that as there is a difference between 4 and 5.

For many users synthetic results in smother shifts and improves cold weather action. Colder weather equals to thicker fluid equals to more binding between gears and their bearings and syncro's, Like having a gear box full of Motor Honey (extremely thick engine oil additive) versus 10w auto trans oil.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

Awesome! Thank you so much for the detailed and thorough response. I knew you would chime in with the info that I am looking for. Thank you very much!