General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 09-01-2015, 03:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cooling System Guides
Print Wikipost

Coolant leaking? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 02:24 AM
Default Coolant leaking? HELP!

HI. I just recently got a 92 Camry for free. But of course, something is wrong with it. The radiator fluid is leaking. He says that it is not leaking from the radiator itself. He said that it leaks from the engine on the bottom or something. So in order to drive it home from his house. I had to fill it with water until it is full, then drive home while it is leaking. The temp goes up high when the water is running low.

So the question is, before heading to the shop, is there anyway to fix it myself by ordering a radiator or something? And what exactly is wrong with it ? Thanx.

Old 08-21-2006, 03:15 AM
Default RE: Coolant leaking? HELP!

In order to even attempt to fix it yourself, you'll at least need to find the source of the leak. If it shouldn't be too hard if it's leaking that fast. Simply fill the radiator, pressurize it- and start looking for leaks. If it's coming from behind the timing belt cover- it's likely to be the water pump.

J

Old 08-21-2006, 03:24 AM

So, he said it is coming from the engine. So the only possible thing I can think of is the water pump. If the water pump is messed up, does that mean it will cause a leak then a possible chance of overheating?

Old 08-23-2006, 11:49 AM

Anytime you lose coolant- you risk the chance of overheating.

J

Old 08-24-2006, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Only thing could be that water pump my ***... You can hope and pray its the water pump. but, for a free car its more likely the head gasket. Check your leaked out antifreeze for discoloration from oil. Also there is a plug in the back of the engine that you have to remove when you flush the cooling system that may also be leaking!

Old 08-24-2006, 06:59 PM

So your just dumping water into your radiator? Put antifreeze and water in it, start it, and let it run.
Look for: leaks, smoke billowing out the tail pipe, and pull the oil dipstick and look for water droplets.

For a free car you can expect issues. If I had a car with a blown headgasket, or cracked head or or block, that wasnt worth fixing to me, then I would say damn near anything to get rid of it. So expect the worst, but hope for the best. I'm leaning towards a blown headgasket or cracked head. But atleast its free.

Old 08-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

jas rookies talking water pump on that what a pipe dream. your car was free dump some food coloring in with the water and see where it leaks at least you'll be able to find it

Old 11-25-2006, 10:37 PM

yeah more than likely a water pump, your dealer or local shop can tell you real quick if thats what it is. go ahead and replace your water pump timing belt and drive belts all at once.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

toyota advisor you sir are offically a moron!