General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cruise control problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Angry Cruise control problem

I have a 1992 Toyota Camry Yesterday i had my break lines replaced ( they were very rusty), today i got my car back and when i drove to school i tried to use the cruise control which until now they worked great, i have checked my fuses. I live in wisconsin so rust is an issue. my question is, is the cruise control something you would have to disconnect to get to the break lines, or could it be because of how rusty a lot of the other components are. even after getting the break lines replaced the break light is still on. the mechanic said that the switch was just stuck in place. please help me

Old 10-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Does the cruise control light come on when you turn it on? If not it may not be getting power.

The brake light is on? Is these the emergency brake light, if so this light comes on when the emergency brake handle is pulled up or the brake fluid is low, or the brake fluid switch on the lid is not working.

There is also a brake light out indicator on the dash. This light comes on if a brake or taillight is burned out.

The cruise is a rectangle box in back of the radiator drivers side. It has a cable running to the throttle pulley and plugs into the cars wiring. Just replacing the brake lines should not cause issues.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Default cruise control

yes the cruise control light comes on, the mechanic said the brake light being on is because the switch is stuck and its in side the fluid container. thank you for telling me where it is maybe i can fix it my self if its not under the car i can generally do it. its going under the car that causes a problem. i will have to check my brake lights.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Default cruise control

yes the cruise control light comes on

the mechanic said the brake light being on is because the switch is stuck and its in side the fluid container. the e-brake is the first thing i checked because it doesn't work and i thought that maybe he put it up and forgot to put it down since it doesn't work.

thank you for telling me where it is maybe i can fix it my self if its not under the car i can generally do it. its going under the car that causes a problem. i will have to check my brake lights.

i guess the biggest question i have is can the cruise control go out without even using it. i used it on saturday last and i got the car back from the mechanic on thursday and in between this time it didn't get used

Old 10-30-2010, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

The system has its own diagnostic system. If the light comes on this system can be checked for trouble codes.

There is a plug under the dash near the steering column. You can use a section of wire to connect 2 electrical terminals on the plug to download the any codes. If your up to this post back.

Your mechanic can do this assuming they have service info.

By doing this you can pin point the problem area rather then guess.