General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer still hasn't fixed my 95 Camry.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 10:42 PM
Default Dealer still hasn't fixed my 95 Camry.

My 95 Camry is back in the shop and they still haven't fixed the problem where the engine will occasionally die. I am now dealing with the Regional office asking for their assistance. After spending $900.00 since February the car is still not fixed. The dealer has been doing trial and error at my expense. They now want to replace the injectors which is an expensive procedure. I was quoted $1300.00 by a Toyota dealer located an hour from my house. This particular dealer quoted the injectors $150.00 over what suggested retail is. That is just price gouging plain and simple. Their labor rate is $125.00 an hour with the book showing 2 1/2 hours to do the job. My local dealer where I have the car charges $110.00 an hour labor. I told the regional office unless I get some assistance and satisfaction my next step will be to contact the State Attorney Generals office. My feeling is since the car has been misdiagnosed to this point any further work should be done at internal cost. I also feel like they need to guarantee the injector replacement will fix the problem or I will not be charged. We have always had a Toyota since 1990 and never had a problem until now. Depending on how they take care of this problem will decide weather or not there will be another Toyota in our future.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:23 AM

a 95
is this recently purchase or
well out of warranty and just workshop repair costs for an unfixed car

the 95 camry has diagnostics ports
and engine light would have been on to give all fault codes to the electronics

there should not have been any reason to " guess "the faults
and just toss many new parts at the car without fixing it

spark, fuel ,compression... thats all a car needs ..
fuel pump and fuel relay /coil packs plugs leads or low cylinder compression stops a engine
blown ecu or fuses

sounds like small claims court stuff .."just .like judge judy"
get lots of paper work together and all reciepts from day dot to proceed an action

you may get refunds but would leave with an un sellable toyota camry

Last edited by dirty hands; 08-04-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:00 AM

This car was purchased new by my father and given to me shortly before his death in 2014. It is a very nice old car with 133,000 miles that my father took very good care of. Yesterday the dealer tried to blame the problem on my father being old and driving the car to few miles and probably a lot of city driving. They said carbon is probably the problem. I was also told at an earlier date that diagnostic didn't begin until 96 and my car is a 95, that is how they justified doing trial and error. When I spoke to the regional office yesterday they tried to tell me according to all Toyota data records the car wasn't maintained like it should have been. That's BS because my dad was a stickler about maintenance. He probably had an independent shop he took it to therefore it wouldn't be in the Toyota data base. Kelly Blue Book shows the car is only worth between $1500 & $1800 if I retail it. The car is still nice and has sentimental value so I have to decide where I draw the line. I will update when I have more information. Thanks

Old 08-03-2016, 07:13 PM

Update, my car has been in the shop 2 weeks tomorrow. The regional office has gotten involved as they are still searching for the problem. They have decided the injectors are not the problem. They are now going to check sensors in the distributor.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Dealers have been known to say all kinds of things to justify their inability to do their job or to promote making more money.

The sensors in the distributor could have checked with a simple resistance test using an ohm meter.

If the engine is 4-cylinder the 95 is pretty simple machine. Your issue is the dealer is most expensive place to have it repaired in terms of labor and parts.

Do you have a friend or acquaintance that knows auto repair. Shop manuals can be found on the internet or you can obtain a Haynes manual for under $20. You could then buy new or used parts at very reasonable prices.

The 95 diagnostic system covers some aspects but not all such as the fuel system. As such not all problems with generate a code.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:08 PM

Dealer called this morning and said my car is fixed. I have been told they have finally found the problem, it was a bad coil. They didn't charge me any labor and my total bill was $145.00. Hopefully this will keep the old car running for quite a while. My dog got his first car ride in 2 weeks, he sure was happy.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Good job in pressing the issue.

For this year of car a bad coil is not uncommon.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:35 PM

Thanks, so far the car is running really good after more than a week of driving it. I'll keep my fingers crossed.