General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about changing Radiator Fluid ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 12:09 PM
Default Question about changing Radiator Fluid ?

I'm wanting to change the radiator fluid on my 95 4 cyl Camry. Am I OK with any brand of fluid that has ethylene glycol in it ? Will I need 6.3 quarts or 5.5 quarts ? The car has 133,000 miles would it be a good thing to flush with water before I put new fluid in. One more question ? I have two jugs of Zerex anti freeze that I've had for a few years, will it still be OK? Thanks

Old 08-12-2016, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Ethylene or propylene glycol (the non-toxic antifreeze) is just one part of the coolant.

The manufacturers add various chemicals for this or that purpose. Car makers can ask manufacturers to make up coolant for their specific needs based their own requirements which can include engine design.

As such all coolants are not the same.

What specific type of Zerex antifreeze do you have? The brand has lots of variations. If sealed the antifreeze should still be good.

Your better off with antifreeze labeled Asian or such. Toyota antifreeze has no silicates (a common additive).

Long life antifreeze is supposed to be good for 100K miles. The glycol never wears out but the additives do.

The capacity is 6.7 quarts with the heater.

You can do a flush but would need to remove the radiator hoses and perhaps thermostat.

If draining the engine, there is a bolt in the back of the engine, drivers side to drain the block.

Suggest when draining the engine to catch the fluid and take note as to the quantity that drained out. Then when adding new coolant to add as much as drained out. Air can get into the large radiator hoses. The result being one may think the engine is full but it can be low by a quart or more.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:18 PM

What I had in mind was to open the valve on the lower part of radiator and drain out as much antifreeze as possible. My next step was to close valve fill radiator with distilled water, run engine with heater on. At this point I would turn engine off, open valve and drain distilled water. Last step close valve and fill radiator with antifreeze until full. Is this an acceptable way of doing it? Thanks for your comments.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:14 PM

I guess I should have said I want to do a drain and fill not a complete flush. I'm kind of old school and don't want to risk any possible problems doing a flush. Would it be safe to drain and then run the engine with heater on while letting a garden hose run water through the radiator ? After that just close petcock and fill till full with new fluid.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:09 PM

To answer your question about the type of Zerex, it is glycol based and does contain silicates. The jug is marked 5 years or 100,000 miles.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

If the coolant contains silicates suggest not using it. Toyota recommends coolant without silicates.

Not sure how much would be gained by adding distilled water and running the engine. The end results would also be diluted coolant.

I am not sure I would want to run an auto engine with a garden hose as the source of coolant. I am sure it can be done but requires more caution. Plus with the thermostat still in place there will not be much flushing action.

If you really want to flush out the heater. Disconnect the heater coolant exit hose and hold the garden hose to the end. Make sure water coming out the other hose drains out and does not pass through the radiator first.

Removing various coolant hoses, plus the thermostat and using a garden hose is not going to harm the engine or coolant system. Problems can occur when cleaners are used. The now cleaned away debris ends up in the radiator, plugging it up.

If you want to flush the radiator, remove the lower radiator where it connects to the engine. Remove the radiator cap and install the garden hose. Let all the water drain out before adding new coolant.

The radiator only will take less coolant.

My own two cents is to just do a drain and refill.

When full, squeeze the large radiator hoses to get the air out. Then add more coolant as required. If air, it can displace a lot of coolant resulting in overheating.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:15 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I think I will just do a drain and refill. I need to see tomorrow what color antifreeze is in the car. My father bought this car new and I found receipts for everything except antifreeze and brake fluid changes. If it has red that will make it easier than if it has been changed to green. If it does have green I will probably try and find the engine block plug in addition to opening the petcock so everything will drain out good.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

The block has a screw in plug like an oil drain. You will need to feel around to find it.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:24 PM

Just wanted to add some information regarding using red or green antifreeze. I came across information last night stating Toyota did not begin using red antifreeze until 1996. IT seems that my 95 Camry came out with the original glycol based green antifreeze.