General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difficulty Gassing Up - 2000 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Default Difficulty Gassing Up - 2000 Camry

Within last 4-6 months, when gassing up, pump nozzle constantly cuts off acting like tank is full when it isn't.Takes forever to fill tank.Has anyone run into this problem? Am about to pull filler neck to check for restriction. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Old 09-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Difficulty Gassing Up - 2000 Camry

If you've tried different gas stations, pumps etc. with the same results. Pull it.
Also check for severe rust/damage.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I pulled the gas neck and found no restriction. Looking down the gas tank stubafter the neck was removed, it appears there is a spring loaded one way door that would allow gas in but shuts to keep gas from maybe sloshing out. Was thinking that it was stuck, but ran wire down it to check and it seems to work fine. I'm at a loss. Those newer pumps that have the vapor shield I think might be the cause of the problem, but they are everywhere now. I'll keep checking. Thanks again.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Hmm. You could check with your local dealer if you cant solve the issue. Or you could first check with one of those pump attendants (hopefully you wont get a mindless one), and of course your personal mechanic if you've got one.
Good luck.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:58 AM

Filled up again last evening. Found a pump w/o vapor recovery. Same problem. Very, very, slow to fill. Can hear neck filling up before nozzle cuts off. Definitely have something down there internallycausing this. BTW, I am my personal mechanic. I just retired as a high school autoshop instructor. Guess I will need to contact dealer to see if they have run into this before. But thanks again for your suggestions.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

I wish i had shop in highschool. Budget cuts, and no one wanting to take the job full time caued that program to be cut. sigh.
You could drop the entire tank to check. You're not the only person i've ever run into with problems filling up their tank. Most i think just took it to a shop or the dealer.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:26 AM

Dang, I sure wish you remembered what others reported about this problem. Yes I will have to drop the tank, but a dealer or repair shop will just replace the tank rather than try to fix the problem. That's how they make $$$. I am a repair person. If I have to modify something w/o forking out $$$, I will do it.
Secondly, I retired from teaching recently because kids are getting out of control and administration does nothing. The inmates run the asylum.
Thanks again. Great forum.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

That's not cool. I notice that kids are getting more and more out of control. I'm 20 and its disturbing to see what kids are doing these days, especially in comparison to what i was doing at their ages.

Honestly, people usuall have rusted filler necks, clogged vents, bad tanks. Like you said, they all prety much just got their tanks replaced because they preferred not to mess with fuel.
If you've already inspected everything and it seems like theres no blockage, or malfunction in any of the fuel related mechanisms, then...i'm at a total loss.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:43 PM

Back in September, I contact this forum about my gas tank not wanting to fill. You told me you have heard of this, but never was told of what the problem was.
I found the problem with my 2000 Camry gas tank not wanting to fill and decided to tell you what I found FYI.
On the 3rd try and after looking at a poor diagram from Alldata, I disconnected the large, approx. 3/4" dia., vent line (the one that has the clips on it and is located closest to the gas tank) from the evap charcoal cannister located under the car directly behind the gas tank. This took care of the problem and tank now fills normally. I am waiting to see it this sets a code, but so far it hasn't. This indicates to me that there is a problem with the evap cannister. It's about $350+ from Toyota and looks like a tough replacement.
Thanks for your information back in September.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for updating your thread with this information.
Hopefully your car won't throw you a code etc.