General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

error code 12

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Default error code 12

Hope the following is not too convoluted: here goes. (this is for a 95 4 cyl dx camry). december 07 after experiencing numerous intermittent starting problems and taking it in to our toyota techs, it was decided to simply start replacing parts and see if problem would stop. replaced ignitor first and problem persisted about 3 weeks after, so replaced with new distributor (factory spec'd). This seems to have fixed original problem. Now for the weird part. During all this I took the trouble code and got 12 repeatedly, even after resetting. The techs said that that code was from the car failing to crank, and my research confirmed.
last week the check engine light comes on, I check for codes, and get 12 AGAIN! clear efi by disconnecting battery; still get check engine light and a 12 code. My research says: "no ne or g signal to ecm" and check camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor. (car IS starting fine and no performance issuses). My research seems to say that only 6 cyl camrys have separate camshaft position sensor under timing belt cover, but it's not clear if this is definitive, so I call our toyota techs who say that a 95 4 cyl has it built into distributor.
Is this correct? Also, where is crankshaft post sens for my car?
Further, have read several instances on various forums of people going nuts over an intermittent starting/ stalling problem, getting a 12 error code, and after replacing everything including the ecm, it turned out to be the cam pos sensor.
sounds like my next step is to replace ecm, but before spending the big bucks for that, thought i'd run this up the flagpole and see if anyone has any other input.
I guess the bottom line is: want to check both post sensors first before replacing ecm, but can't tell if my vehicle even has them. Is there either a crankshaft position sensor, or a camshaft position sensor that i could check with a voltmeter on my vehicle and where are they (intergral to distributor or not)?
thanks in advance[/align]

Old 04-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: error code 12

Is this car certified to California or to Federal emissions standards? There should be a sticker on the hood with the words "CALIF" if California. This makes a differance in troubleshooting the code.

Most likely a problem with the wiring between the ECU and distributor or the distributor (sensor inside). Rarely is it the ECU.

The ignition crank and cam sensors are inside the distributor. They can be checked with an ohm meter.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:42 AM

thanx toyomoho!
definately not a cali emissions car.
have done a cursory search for how to check readings for cam and crnk sensor to no avail. any links that could help on what terminals and what readings to check would be appreciated. you might be saving me thousands as i don't belive it's the ecu either.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

It is possible to check the resistance of the two pickup coils inside the distributor. Disconnect the electrical plug from the distributor.

In order from top to bottom the terminals are NE+ (red wire), NE- (blue), G- (black) and G+ (yellow). G- is grounded to the cars chassis.

Resistance between G+ and G- should be 185-275 ohm cold and 240-325 ohm engine hot.

Resistance between NE+ and NE- should be 370-550 ohm cold and 475-650 ohm hot.

Also check for shorts and continuity between the plug wires and computer.

Remove the distributor cap and check the air gap between the rotors and coils. Should be 0.008-0.016 inch.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:04 AM