General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Heating up

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 09:49 AM
Default Heating up

Hey Camry community,so I've posted before on a few problems and have done alot of work lately and my car is doing great,except for one thing.

The temperature gauge keeps rising to about 3/4 up to the red when driving. I've checked the rad hoses for leaks,changed the thermostat,replaced the radiator(which was leaking) and replaced both my ect and sender switch. Now my sender switch is the key here.

It got real old and broke off,so for about a week the temp gauge wasn't moving. I replaced it and though everything was OK but then the gauge would rise. So I checked everything else like I said above and NOTHING is solving the problem. The gauge was fine before the switch snapped off,SO my thinking is it has to be the switch.

The minute I replaced it,the gauge stared to rise. I don't think it's the new part that goes into the plumbing(female),I'm thinking something is wrong with the wire connecting into it?...Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated,I'm at a loss. Thanks so much

Old 06-05-2016, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Is the engine actually overheating or is the gauge bad?

Its not a switch but a sensor that changes resistance with temperature.

What year car again?

Do you have an ohmmeter?

Do other other gauges work OK such as fuel?

Old 06-06-2016, 07:59 AM

I have a bad habit of saying switch lol I know thanks...it's 94. All other gauges are fine. The gas fluctuates but that's another thing I'm trying to fig out. I can borrow an ohmmeter yes.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

The sensor body is the electrical ground path. When the sensor was installed did you used any sealing material that might have changes the ground path resistance?

Any change in resistance in the wiring or connections from normal is going to effect the gauge reading.

If you have the old sensor, compare ohm readings with the replacement at room temp and 180F.

Sometimes the gauge can fail.