General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Default help please!!

i have a 91 camry. have owned it for 3 years haven't put a dime into it. not bad for 200 bucks, has 125k on it now. drove it to drop my kids at day care this morning then work and it ran perfect. i get done work and it won't start, has alot of crank but won't start. we did have crazy rain today. has anyone had a problem with watermaybe getting into the plugs or something? i pulled the spark plug cap it seems dry...any ideas?! i'm praying the fuel pump didn't just die, and if did how do you test it?

Old 08-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Typically the problem is either ign spark or fuel.

Check ign spark by removing the coil wire from the dist cap and holding it about 1/2 inch from chassis ground while cranking engine over. There should be a hot spark.

Sometimes the ign coil body cracks causing hard starts in damp weather. There may still be spark but not hot enough to start the engine.
The fuel pump only operates when the engine is cranking over or running.

To check the fuel pump, locate a small plastic box inside engine compartment mounted on passenger or drivers strut tower. Inside the box are electrical terminals. Use a section of electrical wire or a bent paper clip to connect the FP and B+ terminals. This allow the pump to operate when the ign switch is turned on. Sometimes a pump relay fails, the above action will bypass any relays, etc.

The pump is under the chassis under the read seat, look for a oval plate on the chassis under the seal that when removed allows access to the pump. You may be able to hear it run.