General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP! turn ignition, sets off alarm

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 10:00 AM
Question HELP! turn ignition, sets off alarm

- opened driver side door and pressed the unlock button
- opened back door put some stuff in the back seat
- put the key in the ignition

***so far so good, right?

i turned the key to start the car, click, no response from the engine, the alarm goes off and i have trouble turning off the alarm. i'm frantically pressing the unlock button on the fob, lock, unlock, hold trunk button, finally i got it turned off.

i sat confused and tried it again - bam. same thing again, except somewhere in the process i got 3 short beeps from the horn before the alarm started going off again.

and by the way - the car won't start. besides the alarm going off there are no clicks, no buzzing, can't hear the engine trying to turn over, nothing.

suppose the battery in the fob is bad and needs to be replaced - maybe, because i should have been able to turn off the alarm more easily but I never SET the alarm to begin with. if the alarm being set was the issue, it should have gone off when i opened one of the doors.

has anyone seen this? any advice?

Last edited by barrettteague; 02-26-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Default last detail about issue

this happened Wednesday night too.. the fix was to jump the battery from my wife's car. and since then (until this am) there was no hint of trouble.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:12 PM

ALRIGHT - by now I have figured out that I have a bad battery and it has been replaced.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:47 AM

It is a Toyota factory alarm. I bought the car from my father-in-law and he bought it brand new. The only after-market electronic is xm radio.