General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle problem 2000 camry 4cyl

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 06:45 AM
Default Idle problem 2000 camry 4cyl

I am having a problem with my wifes 4 cylinder automatic camry

My wife said it started when she pulled into the driveway this morning.

The car idles fine in park but where you put it in reverse the RPMs drop fast and it tries to idle around 300 RPM and will eventually stall. If you then put it in drive it gets a little better but it is still very low and the car shakes and comes close to stalling.

If you start driving it drives normal and smoothly and then when you come to a stop it idles fairly normally maybe a little low. Any time you put it back in reverse the idle becomes bad again but it will back up normally.

The plugs are fairly new so are the wires.

There is plenty of engine oil and there seems to be plenty of transmission fluid.

There are no codes yet

I am having a problem with my wifes 4 cylinder automatic camry / solara.

My wife said it started when she pulled into the driveway this morning.

The car idles fine in park but where you put it in reverse the RPMs drop fast and it tries to idle around 300 RPM and will eventually stall. If you then put it in drive it gets a little better but it is still very low and the car shakes and comes close to stalling.

If you start driving it drives normal and smoothly and then when you come to a stop it idles fairly normally maybe a little low. Any time you put it back in reverse the idle becomes bad again but it will back up normally.

The plugs are fairly new so are the wires.

There is plenty of engine oil and there seems to be plenty of transmission fluid.

No codes yet

EDIT******************

Just took a quick drive after it cooled. It ran normal until it warmed up. So I sprayed the IAC from the hole in the TB it may have gotten a little better but not normal. I will remove the throttle body tomorrow and report back.

Last edited by midias; 08-20-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: More Info