General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Just Dies

Old 02-28-2017, 07:01 PM
Default Just Dies

Hi all, I have not been participating in much of this because of busy work and winter. I live in an area of Idaho that has seen record snows and cold temps. My question is about my daughters 98 2.2. The car runs better and smoother than any 4 banger I have worked on in years, but it dies. She can be driving along and start to slow down for a light or stop sign and sometimes to merge and then OFF! It starts right back up but she is done with it, trust me I hear about it. she is not spoiled or anything but she has a temper when she gets embarrassed. I have had it shut off while just sitting at idle a few times as well. I have cleaned the AIC, and changed the coil packs. still no change. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Read up on the internet about cleaning the IAC valve.

Engine model is a 5SFE.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:17 PM
Default Tried that.

Hey Joey P thanks for the response. I took the IAC apart and soaked it in carb cleaner and polished it up real nice. I did that in the fall and that didn't work. New development now though, I was driving it the other day in a 55 mph zone and was holding my foot steady on the gas. The RPMs were at 2000 and I was just listening to the engine puur all of a sudden it started sputtering kind of like I was running out of gas. It did not die though, after a few seconds it cleared out and ran great. Not that we like to see them but the car also threw a code finally. I am convinced it is something like a throttle position sensor. I am still boggled, headed out now to get the code. Thanks again for any input!!

Old 03-07-2017, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

Keep us posted, please!

Old 03-09-2017, 07:29 PM
Default I will for sure

I have not found out the code it has thrown yet. My son and his friend have all of the code reader gadgets but appears they have no time. I will remind them again tonight, now that our weather is above the twenties thing are much easier. I did notice when I cleaned the IAC her intake was caked with black build-up as well. I may have to pull the intake and soak it in gas for a day. What is your opinion on that? My son says yes but that's because he wont be doing it. Once again thanks for the replies.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:54 PM

OK, so the code I found out is for the coolant temp sensor. I am going to change it tomorrow but with little hope that is the issue. True this sensor does lean or richen the fuel according to temp, but I am skeptical. My question now is can this sensor create this kind of problem? I was told these sensors do not always just go out and be faulty. I guess it will be a sensor replacement problem for a while. Once again any imput is very welcome and appreciated.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

What is the code?

If it is the engine coolant temp sensor for the computer, it can cause issues.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:33 PM

Thank you for the reply Joey P. I will change it this weekend and hopefully it works because I want my car back. She has my 2000 camry with a V6 and is getting too comfortable with it. I just installed a new stereo with blue tooth so she is not complaining about my car and that makes me nervous. I will be lucky if there is gas and tires left on it!!! LOL!