General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need help with 92 v6 camry.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Default Need help with 92 v6 camry.

My camry 92 v6 camry will not start. I noticed the car has no engine main relay and fuel pump relay. Does the 92 v6 camry need both of those to start? The car has spark. I dont hear the fuel pump unless i bridge fp and +b in the diagnosis box. Any help would be great thanks

Old 03-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

The fuel pump has a Circuit Opening Relay.

This relay has 2 solenoid coils instead of the typical one to activate a switch. The switch powers the fuel pump.

When the engine starter system is engaged, one solenoid is activated to close this switch and turn on the fuel pump.

When the engine is running, the MAF sensor sends a signal to the computer to indicate air flow in the intake air system. The other solenoid coil is then turned on to keep the relay contacts closed (and fuel pump running) after the starter system is disengaged and its solenoid coil turned off.

Thus for the fuel pump to run, the starter needs to be engaged or the engine running. The pump should NOT run with the ign key justed turned to the On position.

The FP and B+ bridge bypasses the above relay.

The Autozone website may have a wiring diagram and info on how to test various components.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:43 AM

Thanks for the help. What about the main relay, shouldnt the 92 v6 camry have one in the fuse box. Mine has a slot for one, but there is no relay in there.
Originally Posted by toyomoho
The fuel pump has a Circuit Opening Relay.

This relay has 2 solenoid coils instead of the typical one to activate a switch. The switch powers the fuel pump.

When the engine starter system is engaged, one solenoid is activated to close this switch and turn on the fuel pump.

When the engine is running, the MAF sensor sends a signal to the computer to indicate air flow in the intake air system. The other solenoid coil is then turned on to keep the relay contacts closed (and fuel pump running) after the starter system is disengaged and its solenoid coil turned off.

Thus for the fuel pump to run, the starter needs to be engaged or the engine running. The pump should NOT run with the ign key justed turned to the On position.

The FP and B+ bridge bypasses the above relay.

The Autozone website may have a wiring diagram and info on how to test various components.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

In the fuse box, drivers side, engine compartment. Box looks like a rectangle but has one side that is angled. EFI, engine main, starter, horn, headlight, radiator fan relays.

Smaller rectangle box: A/C magnetic clutch relay and daytime running lights (if car came equipped with them/Canada car).

Circuit opening relay is behind the glove box.