General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Compression

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 06:38 PM
Default No Compression

95 5sfe. Pressure washed some on engine, started up to move off ramps and did not drive for a few days,now it won't start. Plugs are firing, fuel is present in cylinders. Compression check shows 30 to 40 lbs all 4 cylinders. Removed valve cover and pressed on a few valves, didn't find any stuck open. Check timing belt, crank, cam and distributor lines up for TDC check.
I am at a loss of what will cause this.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Ho did the engine run when moving off ramp, OK, rough?

Could be water in a connector, distributor, coil, etc.

Test spark again. Spark should be white and able to gap 1/2 inch of air.

Pickup some WD-40 or other water displacing spray in a can. Remove distributor cap and spray to get out any water from cap, distributor and coil if built into distributor.

Undo every wiring harness plug you can find going to any engine sensor or engine component including igniter and remote coil (if equipped) and both spray connections.

On off chance check air filter box for water.

Did you check the compression with throttle wide open?

Unless somehow water got into the cylinders, who is to say the engine did not have the same compression before the pressure cleaning even if low.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:56 PM

Ran fine I thought. I checked dist cap first for moisture. That has happened to me before when washing an engine. I compared the spark to my other 95 camry, it looked the same. Compression on the second car is 130 psi, checked the same way. I did not touch the throttle on either car.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

30 psi is obviously low. If too low the engine will not start. Why is it low? A broken timing belt can cause this but you checked it. Blown head gasket, then strange how all cylinders low. Or could be engine wear or leaking valve?

Have you tried injected a LITTLE oil into the cylinders which would better seal the rings to the cylinder walls?

How are the spark plugs?

Since engine ran OK before wash and OK after and nothing changed in-between the last start and next attempted starts then would still be looking a water some place in the wiring.

As to spark, be sure it is a hot spark as described. If the other engine has higher compression it may start with a poorer spark.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:53 PM

Recheck compression with butterfly open and several squirts of WD40 in each cyl. Still low 30 to 50 PSI. Cold weather here. Could a frozen, cracked block or head cause low compression in all cylinders?

Old 01-22-2014, 02:03 PM

no cracks cause the compression figures to fall
a blown head gasket ...... maybe on one cylinder
50 is way too low
squirt a little oil in each plug hole ...not to much
if compression figures improve .rings are the cause
if stay the same .....valves
how many km/miles has your motor got on it
i see you can get reconditioned heads for the camry in america ..not to expensive

Old 01-22-2014, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Check coolant in radiator and determine if still liquid or even slush, if so the odds of a crack block are nil.

If engine ran before wash and after and coolant is Ok then there is most likely an issue with the wash water. Any chance of water in the fuel?

Old 03-10-2014, 07:57 PM

Update on no compression. Too cold and too lazy to tear down. However, in the past couple of months I rechecked the compression. First with throttle open, then with a little oil in the cylinders thru the plug holes. No change still about 30 lbs. Once or twice, put the plugs back in and try to start,(just a last hope try before removing the head). Never got around to the tear down though. Yesterday Dad was over and wanted to try again. Fired right up no problem. I let it run for about 5 minutes. Then started it up several times to make sure. Recheck the compression 120 lbs each cyl.

I have no clue. Just glad I didn't take it apart.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Perhaps stuck valves? But why?

Old 03-11-2014, 07:26 AM

good on you . Iflyrcs ..DAD ....