General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non_Camry? Steering locked, key willnot turn. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 09:27 PM
DLW
Default Non_Camry? Steering locked, key willnot turn. Help!

Help!

Been searching some stuff for my 98 Camry and I go outside to move my 93 Geo Prizm and the key will not turn at all and the steering wheel locks when I move it to try to get the key to move. I have wiggled the wheel what it will move and the key to to no avail. I move this car in and out of the driveway almost everyday and it was fine this afternoon.

The car is in front of my mailbox and I do not want to pay for a tow and labor on this car or spend days working on something.

Is there a simple fix for this problem? Could disconnecting the battery reset something. Is there a part I can hit with a hammer of stab with a screwdriver to free the steering wheel and key? Ha!

I would like to avoid having it towed etc. as its my spare car and the value is not much and money is tight.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Dave

Last edited by DLW; 05-23-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:06 PM

If it's an automatic make sure it's fully in park,or try shifting to neutral if it has an overide. This happened to my camry the other day and it was my cell phone charger cord got jammed between the shifter and the console, as soon as i moved the shifter it was fine.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:26 AM
DLW

Its an automatic. 4cyl 1.8 Lsi engine.
Tried it again this morning. No change. Key will not turn. Steering wheel is locked. Key will not turn even if I push steering wheel either dirrection. I tried unhooking thre battery cable , that did nothing.
Any help appreciated. Thanks! Dave

Old 05-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

I doubt if there is any bypass.

Typically the steering wheel lock mechanism binds resulting in the key not turning or the lock cylinder or key has a problem.

Try another key.

Is the key you have worn? Sometimes having a new key made solves the problem. Have the dealer make the key based on the VIN so the key will be new.

Get some lock lube and spray it into the cylinder.

Try holding the steering wheel to the left, then attempting to go to ACC position first.

Jiggle the key in an attempt to move it.

Don't jiggle too hard or the key can break off!