General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Default Please Help

I have a 2001 Camry (4 cylinder, 5S-FE automatic). I have recently replaced the oxygen sensor and the catalytic converter (california emisions) due to the engine light saying that there was an emision problem.

When I accelerate up a hill the engine seems to get no gas and will jerk along until suddenly the engine seems to be normal and will drive as if there is no problem. When the car is jerking the engine light will flash on and off. The RPMs do not go over 2000 during this time regardless of how much the pedal is pressed.

I have no idea what the problem is. The car runs terrifically except for this. I have spent too much money on this already and I cant sell it or trade it in this condition. Thank you for you help and comments.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Please Help

Did the engine run this way before the repairs?

Have someone read the codes. Even if the CEL is not on constantly, the code reader should still be able view pending codes.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Please Help

A flashing CEL means pull over and shut off the car and get it to a shop. Flashing CEL is much worse than just an on CEL. It means something is seriously wrong with your vehicle. When my engine blew, that caused my CEL to flash. It sounds to me you have an powertrain failure and should take it back to the shop you got your repairs done at. If you do not feel it is a safe vehicle to drive -and flashing CEL means its not safe - get it towed to the shop.

Good luck.

Edit:

Or...perhaps they just failed to bolt everything back on so the computer is confused at what's going on.