General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering issues on 1991 V6 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 09:14 AM
Default Power steering issues on 1991 V6 Camry

Hello, I am having issues with the power steering on my 91 Camry. It has 150,000 miles and is a V6. The system had a minor leak for a long time until the original pump was spewing fluid from the middle. I had it replaced and then the replacement pump began to leak and so the part manufacturer replaced it. Now, this has happened again and they are going to swap the pump out for a 3rd time. The mechanic stated that he thinks that the aftermarket pump is junk and this next one will probably do the same thing (start leaking from the center of the pump). He suggested that I find a decent OEM pump from a junk yard. Does anyone here have experience with this problem or might be willing to give me some insight as to whether getting a junk yard pump is a good plan or where I might be able to acquire one? Thanks for your help.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Are you having a shop do the work? If so its the shops job to find decent quality parts, not your's. Are these rebuilt pumps, if so some are better then others and some are junk.

Where is the pump leaking from. There are replacement seals available.

Not sure how much luck your going to have finding an OEM pump as these car is old and the model was only used for a few years.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Are you having a shop do the work? If so its the shops job to find decent quality parts, not your's. Are these rebuilt pumps, if so some are better then others and some are junk.

Where is the pump leaking from. There are replacement seals available.

Not sure how much luck your going to have finding an OEM pump as these car is old and the model was only used for a few years.
Yes, I am having a shop do the work. I believe the pump is 'remanufactured'. I will try to find out the brand.
Yeah, I considered taking apart and replacing the o-rings and seals in the original pump, though now I'm not sure if the mechanic still has it. The pump seemed to be leaking straight out of the side of the body opposite the pully. This made no sense to me but I'm no car mechanic. Thanks!

Old 04-14-2016, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Can only guess.

The pump body opens at the back which is covered with a plate.

Could be issues of a hose fitting leak. One hose is held onto the pump by a clamp much like a radiator hose. The other uses a hollow bolt fitting with crush gaskets as seals. Perhaps the mechanic failed to replace these gaskets.

Most pumps tend to leak at the seal for the input drive shaft.

It's the shops problem as they pick the parts they use (and make a profit on selling it to you). Not yours.