General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick question about my 1995 camry oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Default quick question about my 1995 camry oil leak

I have a 1995 toyota camry 175,000 miles 4 cylnders.

I knew my car has been leaking so today i decided to jack my car up lay down under, and wow what i saw.

The bottem of the passenger side is wet of oil, the axel pump is wet, the oil pan is fine though, i looked under the left side pan (transmission pan?) and 1 side was darker than the other so i ran my finger and it was wet.

From laying down i looked behind the engine (engine side closest to dashboard) and it was wet, almost dripping. Everything just has oil. Also theres this part (dont know what its called) thats close to the timing belt area that looked pretty drenched in oil.

Now ive read a few fourms and a few parts are mentioned but i have no idea what these parts are.

Are there any good links to diagrams of camry parts? I know most of you have probably been on this forum quite a bit and have run across neat things, im new though.

I might take a few pictures tomorrow if i can get a good angle.

please any help or links would be great.

If you can type out a list of what to check that would be great.

thank you

Old 02-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Do a Google search on 5SFE timing belt change or replacement for hits. You should find hits with drawings, photo's, perhaps a video.

What is an axel pump?

Make sure the oil is engine, not auto trans, differential or power steering fluid (all use trans fluid that is red).

Possible areas of oil leakage are:

Distributor housing O-ring where it slides into to the head.

Valve cover gasket, typically leaks down behind the engine .

Cam/crank shaft seals, oil pump seal (all of these are under the timing cover).

If the engine has an oil cooler (look for a couple of coolant hoses running to a mount under the oil filter), the O-ring between the mount and engine block.

If you think the leak is from under the timing cover and is bad. Remove the passenger tire, start engine and watch for oil dripping out the bottom of the cover or from the side closest to the firewall.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:32 PM

as I know notice in some other forums, most of their problem about camry is the oil leak... and I hear few have resolve.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:21 PM

Alright so today i did some more work and based off that picture if you can see it.

It seemed the areas with most oil was the CRANKSHAFT, the OIL PULLEY, and the GUIDE PULLEY.

Now also behind the engine where the valve cover is its leaking oil i assume this is due to an old valve cover gasket.

So if its the CRANKSHAFT, the OIL PULLEY, and the GUIDE PULLEY should i just buy the replacement rings/gaskets?

Old 02-17-2011, 06:53 PM

Name:  edit1.jpg
Views: 6022
Size:  42.4 KB

Name:  edit2.jpg
Views: 4757
Size:  26.5 KB

Ok so after i finished cleaning everything. I finally decided to turn on my car and what do you know, it was clean and dry before but after i turned off the car, there is a trail running along the crankshaft. What does this mean?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

The oil pump, driven by the timing belt and is located above the area identified. A good indication of a leaking oil pump seal is the oil starts to drip in the area identified when the engine is running. The seal is under oil pump pressure at this time.

The crank and cam seals can leak but the oil is not under pressure, the result can be more seepage then a steady leak.

The seals are the cam, crank and oil pump. The guide pulleys are sealed bearings.

You will need to remove the timing belt cover, once off inspecting the above seals will determine which are leaking.

The cam, cranks and oil pump seals should be available from a auto parts store or the dealer but may need to be ordered.

To replace the oil pump seal the pump needs to be removed from the engine and taken apart (or replace the pump). There is a preformed O-ring between the pump and the engine this may be a dealer only part, replace this O-ring.

If it is the oil pump seal and your keeping the car might replace the cam and crank seal at the same time. Also check when the timing belt was last replaced.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:53 AM
Default 2012 Camry

I have a 2012 Camry. There was a recall on it for it shaking between 40 and 50 miles per hour. I brought it in for the upgrade and it did not work. I called them again and brought it back last week and the replaced a part. I picked it up and the next morning transmission fluid leaked all over my driveway and the car would not move.
I just spoke to the mechanic and he said that the axel seal was agitated (?) since it was removed from the transmission. He said that the fluid was low but not dangerously low (the car would not move). He also told me that the car has a feature that when the oil is low it will not let you drive it so you don't cause more damage.
Does anyone have any knowledge of this. I feel like they are laying a bunch of BS on me.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

How much fluid leaked out? The trans holds about 9 quarts.

Check owners manual for the location of a dash indicator light that will come on if the trans fluid get too hot which can be sign the fluid is too low. You don't want to drive if the light comes on.

Not sure on if the trans has a designed in feature that prevents the car from moving if the fluid get too low. However if the fluid gets too low the car will eventually stop moving.

You don't want the fluid to get too low. Before the car stops moving from low fluid it may jerk or feel like is has no power. Meaning your rev up the RPM's but the car accelerates slowly. The trans may also start to have harsh shifts or slip (engine revs) between shifts. You don't want to be driving if this happens.

Suggest your only driving be to the dealer (if not a long drive) to have the seal replaced. This will require removing the axle to access the seal.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Have the dealer come get it, they have tow trucks on speed dial.