Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

92 Camry Oil leak question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Default 92 Camry Oil leak question

I need to know the best way to find an Engine oil leak in my 92 Camry LE? I've put new Valve cover gaskets on, and a new pcv valve but am still having trouble locating the leak. Thinks its coming from the backside of the engine because the oil is leaking onto the exhaust pipe.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:32 PM

Try looking at either end of your engine. Mine leaks at the front and rear main seals (just slightly) Also try poking around your oil pan, that is a pretty common area as well.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:56 PM

When you replaced your valve cover gasket- hopefully you replace the rear cam plug (distributorless) or the distributor O ring (with distributor)- both of which are common leak points for the 4 cylinder.

JJ

Old 11-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Default Check the oil pump

The biggest leak turned out to be in the oil pump on my 91. Rubber seal had gotten hard and cracked. Leaked heavily when running.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:15 PM

I am planig to change cam,I dont know how to seal the oil pan.
I sure hope I dont have to pull the pan.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Prubback73
I am planig to change cam,I dont know how to seal the oil pan.
I sure hope I dont have to pull the pan.
You would seal it up by replacing the gasket and rebolting the oil pan up. Not that hard actually. About 10 minutes worth of work. Your cam shaft will take more time than the oil pan

Old 12-06-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by JoshInWV
You would seal it up by replacing the gasket and rebolting the oil pan up. Not that hard actually. About 10 minutes worth of work. Your cam shaft will take more time than the oil pan
The oil pan is seal with FIPG (form in place gasket). Pulling the pan requires partially disassembling the exhaust- then cleaning all of the residual FIPG from both the block and the pan- THIS TAKES FAR MORE THAN THE 10 MINUTES YOU SUGGEST IT WILL TAKE since both the black and the pan has to be absolutely free of any residual oil for the FIPG to seal.

JJ

Old 12-08-2009, 04:51 AM

As Joel_CA said, far more then 10 minutes work, as both surfaces must be spotless.

But may I suggest, rather then replacing seals here, gaskets there and so on.

Fully degrease the entire engine + driveline assembly that has oil evident, then, keep an eye on where oil comes from.

Will save you a f*** load of time and effort, not to mention money!

Old 12-20-2009, 12:12 AM

Theres a seal where the distributor shaft spins within the distributor body. When that leaks, it lets engine oil into the distributor body, where it eventually leaks out right where you said.But that would be engine oil, so Im not sure about the "milky" oil?? Is the oil in the engine milky? If so, change oil a couple times to get rid of all the residual moisture.The official story about that distributor shaft seal, is that you have to buy a new distributor. A couple people have figured out how to replace just the seal, but I dont know the details. Search around here... General Tech or maybe DIY.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Inhimiggenure
Theres a seal where the distributor shaft spins within the distributor body. When that leaks, it lets engine oil into the distributor body, where it eventually leaks out right where you said.But that would be engine oil, so Im not sure about the "milky" oil?? Is the oil in the engine milky? If so, change oil a couple times to get rid of all the residual moisture.The official story about that distributor shaft seal, is that you have to buy a new distributor. A couple people have figured out how to replace just the seal, but I dont know the details. Search around here... General Tech or maybe DIY.

Cannot say I have ever heard of an internal oil seal in a distributor. There is only the oil seal on the distributor shaft that sits inside the cylinder head, when that leaks you take the distributor out, remove the oil o ring, fit a new one and whack the dizzy back in.