General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Smoke on first startup, won't start sometimes.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Unhappy Smoke on first startup, won't start sometimes.

So i recently purchased a 1995 toyota camry 6 cylinder XLE a few months ago and since I bought it, the first startup every morning has spit out a cloud of thick smoke. Also, there is a chirping sound under the hood by the passenger side. Startup has always been pretty good, it rides pretty smooth. Once a month it wouldn't even try to turn over. I would hear a click and that was it. then I would have to wait a few minutes then start it up. Today I went to go start it and I heard a click, I waited a few minutes and nothing when I tried it again. After about 15 minutes I was able to start it up again and it was pretty rough for a few seconds and LOTS of smoke came out the back. I turned it off after about a minute, and then i tried it again and wasn't. I think there is an engine coolant leak because 2 weeks ago it was full and now it's empty again. Oil levels are good although i'm almost at 3000 miles since the last oil change. Ideas on how to get it to start up?

Old 10-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

You may have more then one problem.

What color is the smoke and what does it smell like? White, black, blue, gray, etc, smells like oil, typical exhaust fumes, a sweet smell?

The click when starting could be due to a poor battery connection, battery cables or starter solenoid issue.

Have you checked for coolant leaks, a spot of coolant under the engine, cracked coolant overflow tank (common), cracked plastic upper radiator tank (common), etc.

Check battery cable connection at the battery, these can corrode. The large battery cable to the starter solenoid can become bad over time resulting in increased electrical resistance and drop in battery voltage available to the starter. The solenoid contacts can become worn resulting in poor contact.

The starter solenoid has two large electrical terminals (look like bolts), one is where the battery cable connects, the has a large cable that goes to the starter motor itself.

There is also a small wire the attaches to the solenoid.

Use a section of electrical wire to momentarily connect the small wire terminal to the terminal where the large battery cable connects. If the engine now turns over the problem is with the solenoid. DON'T try to connect the two large terminals!

The solenoid is an electrical switch. When powered it connects the battery to the starter motor. The small wire sends 12V power through the ign switch to the solenoid coil turning on the switch and closing the connection between battery and starter motor.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:40 PM

Blue smoke on startup is common..as was in my 96 camry 4 cylinder...
Mechanic told me its valve seals...cost to repair....$400 or more...no thanks...
happened at 60k miles and drove it like that till 180k miles....gave it to cousin...still running fine...no problems.... Just need to check oil, as it eats oil on those blue smoke startup.
So...no big deal,,,just check oil...my one would use about 1/2quart every 3k miles.

startup problem clicks.... the starter solenoid cts...basically copper bus bar type...2 pieces... same as toyota truck starter issue...google it and you will find pics and solution.
you could use toyota websites...parts catalog or fisch...and it will show 2 copper bus bar inside the starter solenoid part...$20-30