General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 03:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Theft deterrent deterrent

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Default Theft deterrent deterrent

Can someone tell me something about the theft deterrent system on a 97-98 Camry? Like how to disable it? I've replaced the thermostat in my son-in-law's car, and in the process found the battery was flat, soIunhooked the battery to recharge it. Reconnected everything and now the car wont turn over, battery is good,but sol doesn't have the instructions for the theft systemanymore. I'm assuming it is factory installed since it is referenced in the users manual, but the users manual assumes the d*** thing works.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Theft deterrent deterrent

If this is a Toyota installed alarm try locking the car and opening it with a key. If you have the type of key with the chip inside try starting it with this key, try both gray and black key if you have them.

If you have some kind of aftermarket alarm try the following: Look under the dash for a button or switch. If there is one try the following: Turn ign key on to the position before engine crank. Within 5 seconds press and hold in the override button until the LED (the blinking light) in your dash area goes solid and the siren chirps once.

If there is a toggle switch instead of button repeat the process but turn the switch in opposite direction then turn ign switch off.

Many after market alarms are installed into the ignition switch Remove the cover under the steering column and look at the wiring to the ign switch area to see if something was added. Removing the fuses this alarm should disable the system.

If the alarm was wired in the typical way the starter kill circuit is wired in a normally closed configuration and the car should start. If alarm was wired in a normally open method find the starter wire (red wire in the 98 Camry) and reconnect it to the ign switch wiring.

Source: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Car-Alarm...y-starting.htm

If the car has a remote try the sit below to determine the vendor and thus be able to contact them for instructions. www.keynfob.com

Old 03-23-2008, 12:53 PM

Thank you, your post was extremely helpful. I will pursue your suggestions and that of the links you supplied.[sm=happy046.gif][sm=happy046.gif]

Old 03-23-2008, 06:41 PM

Toyomoho,
It was an aftermarket alarm. The switch procedure worked as you directed. Thanks again.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Great, glad it worked!