General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 12:27 AM
Default Throttle Problems

Need some help here, I have a strange problem and I can't solve it. I bought a used 94 Camry wagon. Ran as all good toyota's do. The buyer told me that the car wouldn't go into over drive and thought it was a solenoid that might be causing the issue. I didn't think it was that big of a deal, my plan was just to use it as a runner around town. The car has developed another problem and I am not sure if it is related or not. I will be driving down the road and the throttle be comes unresponsive. I push down on the gas and the car will not accelerate, it just coasts. It doesn't die, but when I push down on the accelerator it doesn't rev. If I push the accelerator all the way down it revs up and the rpms will spike, but it doesn't shift into a lower gear. It will go roughly 40 mph in like 1st gear. I have taken it to my local shop and they were confused and couldn't figure it out. Any ideas?

Old 03-27-2014, 12:32 AM

gidday i am newby at this forum stuff but i have similar problem and yet iam retired mechanic and done the tps [new] isc [new] fuel pump [new] cleaned the throttle body gone over the entire vacum hose system including the o rings for the injectors nothing new plugs new leads dizzy has been checked over nothing symtoms are smooth idle hot or cold massive flat spot even though foot continues to go to the floor then all of a sudden of it goes like a rocket but is not as touchy when hot

Old 03-27-2014, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

4 or 6 cylinder engine?

Are you stating the trans does not down shift? If so for what gears?

At what MPH does the lack of throttle response occur? If it occurs at not too high of MPH, have you tried manually shifting the trans down one gear? And if so, does the RPM pick up?

The trans does not shift out of 1st? How about if you manually shift into 1st, then start out and manually shift through the gears? Will the trans now shift?

As to throttle response. When you give it more gas, is there any indication from the engine that something happened, such increased noise?

When the car coasts, does the RPM drop to idle or close to it.

Overdrive only occurs at speeds over 40 mph when engine warm. When the car is operating normally above 40 mph and engine warm, turn off the O/D. Rpm should increase approx 200 rpm.

When the car runs normally, does the engine have normal power?