General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission problem

Old 02-20-2008, 01:14 AM
Default Transmission problem

hello, im looking for some help on my little brothers 91 camry, im a mustang guy and the car is in N.C. so i cant easily diagnose the problem. But here is what he is telling me is wrong, maybe some of you guys have had the same problem or maybe its a common problem and you can point me in the right direction.

Here goes, car and trans was fine up until about a month ago, the trans wouldnt shift out of first until very very late in the rpm band, the 2-3 shift and the 3-4 shift is perfectly fine, and once the car gets going, its A.ok. From a stop when the car is in first it will just go to like 5 grand before it shifts. There is NO SLIPPING, this was already verified by my brother and my father. IT just shifts very late out of first gear, other than that its okay.

any ideas? im thinking something wrong electronically , maybe a bad valve body? i dunno, it seems like it would be electrical. AAMCO wants to do a completer rebuild for 1500.lol. only paid 500 for the car lol. its in greats shape, i just got it from a buddy who got a brand new jetta. lol
So where should we start, i know it doesnt need a rebuild, no slipping and no burnt fluid discoloration or smell. Thanks alot guys