General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn On Headlights And Car Stops Running

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Default Turn On Headlights And Car Stops Running

Hi Everyone.

I'm new to the forum and I need some technical help.

I recently bought a 1988 Camry to use as a commute vehicle. The problem I'm having is kind of strange. The car will start and run just fine, but if I turn on the headlights, it will die. I'll have to wait a few minutes until I can start it again. I noticed that if I kept the RPM's up to about 3k or so and turn on the headlights, it will want to die again, but if I shut them off real quick, it will stay running. If I persist turning them on and off, they will eventually come on and stay on. I had it running the other day, but accidentally bumped the headlight switch and it died again. Now, it won't start at all. It turns over just fine, but will not start. It has a new alternator and battery. I've checked fuses and they all look OK.

Does anyone have any advice as to what the problem might be and what else I need to check?

Electrical problems drive me nuts!

I appreciate any assistance anyone can provide.

Thanks,

Mark

Old 10-06-2007, 06:08 AM
Default RE: Turn On Headlights And Car Stops Running

Did you have the problem before the battery and alternator was replaced? Or did you have the problem after they were replaced. I think you still have a battery problem. Make sure all your battery/charging connections are clean as well as the ground straps from engine to chassis and at chassis. When doing a load test ona battery you turn on the headlights to test it under fullload. Check for bright blue spark at the plugs then work backwards from there if you have no spark.