General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hearing "Coins" from 0-5 mph and at stops?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 07:50 PM
Default Hearing "Coins" from 0-5 mph and at stops?

Hello, we have a '03 Toyota Camry SE V6 with about 50,000 miles on it. We've been hearing sounds that sounds like slightly muted coins rattling around when we approach a stop sign or are accelerating slowly from a stop. It doesn't happen all of the time, but we hear it coming from within the dash. We have no idea what it could be. I even looked for coins beneath the seats, and what-not. Any suggestions would be helpful before I take it into the shop to try to diagnose this and for an oil change.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Hearing "Coins" from 0-5 mph and at stops?

I've never heard of anything like this

Old 10-05-2006, 08:09 PM

I was just searching to find out about the same problem and came across your post. Our 2005 LE does the same thing.
Crackling, beeding, coin noises from the dashboard. I took the car in this morning to the dealership so they can figure out the problem.
Will let you know what they say.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:40 PM

Got back from the dealership and this is what they found: Radiator low pressure, replaced rad. cap. Raised front of vehicle to bleed air from cooling system.

Still is making the same damn noise! [:@]

taking it back tomorrow for more testing.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:33 AM

I've had that problem w/my 02 and my 99... its not comming from UNDER THE DASH... its right below the steering wheel mounts, maybe at some point or another, there has been an aftermarket alarm or module put in where the harness goes and there's a loose screw or a missing screw between the two steel plates that comes together .... so i would definetly slap.. and i mean literally slap the bottom portion ov the steering wheel and its not going to sound like it does when ur car is running, its going to be a tad bit lower.. so don't let any sound pass you buy!.. GOOD LUCK! ( MAN! das going to be another $95 ?!?!)

Old 10-26-2006, 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: OnE_To_HatE

I've had that problem w/my 02 and my 99... its not comming from UNDER THE DASH... its right below the steering wheel mounts, maybe at some point or another, there has been an aftermarket alarm or module put in where the harness goes and there's a loose screw or a missing screw between the two steel plates that comes together .... so i would definetly slap.. and i mean literally slap the bottom portion ov the steering wheel and its not going to sound like it does when ur car is running, its going to be a tad bit lower.. so don't let any sound pass you buy!.. GOOD LUCK! ( MAN! das going to be another $95 ?!?!)
There is no aftermarket anything on this car. It is all stock. Only happens when the AC has been on for a long time. It's not doing it now since we don't use the AC anymore.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:00 AM

oOOH... good one.. i'm blank. lol. good luck!