General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Default Window issue

Back drivers side window on 99 camry..starting about two weeks ago when rolling up it was like it didn't know it needed to stop and would make a loud sound, idk how to describe the sound it was like a thumping sound I guess but now it wont go up or down I can pull it up but it just slides down again I pulled the door panel off to take a look thinking maybe it was off track but everything looks normal, the motor still works as I can hear it humming when I push the button....anyone know what could be the problem?? Could it be the "arm" thats bolted to the inner metal panel?

Old 08-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

The motor has a gear that engages a track having teeth. The track is part of the window regulator that moves the window up and down.

The teeth on the gear could be stripped out. The motor turns but with no teeth on the gear nothing happens and the window will not stay up.

This is a reasonably common problem.

Suggest you remove the regulator and motor assemble for inspection. Replacements are available from online auto parts vendors and most likely can be ordered from local auto parts stores.

The part is relatively inexpensive, see link below:

1999 TOYOTA CAMRY Power Window Motor & Regulator Assembly