New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

1991 rebuild here

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Default 1991 rebuild here

Whats up guys. I'm new to the forum and I have aquired a car that is very sentimental to me. My mom passed away in 1998 when i was a senior in High School and she used to drive a maroon colored 1991 camery from new. I have just aquired that very car for free over this weekend which has been sitting up for about 6 years now from the person who bought it locally. It has a new transmission and only has 94000 miles on it. Any help in putting this car back on the road would be awesome. thanks for any help in advance guys

I had to litterally pull the entire wiring harness through the motor and luck has it, its was relitivly easy to do seeing how so far every plug has its own connection. only thing i have to connect is the oil sending unit, a random plug i can't find its mate anywhere by the starter. Oh and what looks like a ground strap with two wires that are white up by the intake and throttle body. anyway so far it turns over and I have spark but no fuel yet so thats where it stands at the moment.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Keep in mind the car has a circuit opening relay. This relay controls power to the fuel pump.

The relay will only close when the starter motor is powered or the manifold airflow sensor (MAF) (assuming this year has one) has air flowing through it (engine running). There is a vane switch inside the MAF the closes and as such powers the opening relay.

Look in the engine compartment for a small plastic box labeled "Diagnostic." Inside the box are electrical terminals. Use a section of wire to connect the FP and B+ terminals, this will bypass any relays in the fuel pump wiring. The pump will then run when the ign switch is turning on.

Oil pressure wire may be Gray or Yellow/Black strip.

What color are the wires to the random plug?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:34 PM

ok there is what looks like a ground strap up buy the intake. it comes right out where the injector plugs are located. It has four white wires connected to it... from what i can tell im thinking its the ground strap for the injectors but ive never seen that before.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:06 PM

ok the wires are two wires that are white and black with red dots painted on them..... and two wires that are i think solid brown with little red dots painted on them..... the end is just an "eye" connection that you just put a bolt though with the 4 wires kind of soldered to it. and then plastic loom around it...... if you look down by the injectors it comes out by the number 2 injector wires.... thats my best description without a pic.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Can not state for sure as info is for another year of Camry.

White/Black colored wires appear to eventually run to ground. The grounding points can also be common to other ground wires.

Brown wires can run to ground but there colors also run to other none grounded connections.

There is one ground point that has 2 Brown and 2 White/Black wire running to it.

There is also a Brown/Orange stripe wire color which appears to run to each injector bringing 12V from the ign switch.

There is a ground point behind the engine upper part.

What kind of plug? Round, oval, 4 connectors, 4 connectors but room for more that are not used, what color connector.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:41 AM

Diging though my haynes manual every white and black wire i come across is a ground somewhere..... so I grounded it to the block using a pair of vice grips. what do you know it fires up.... only running on two cylinders though. You were saying on the other thread about different injectors being used.... well they're all the light blue color, everything else is identical and i replaced the o-rings. Timing is good, firing order is good and i have spark on all four cylinders. Still getting fuel so going to pull them and check for a blockage. Um..... checked for power at the harnesses and thinking i might have two of them crossed but don't really know how to go about finding which one is which with out hurting the motor..... but hey one prob gone right on to the next.