New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

2014 Camry Bad Smell

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 06:44 PM
Default 2014 Camry Bad Smell

My bad smell is NOT with the ac but the outside air! I had the dealer clean the ac vents twice but it is the outside air that smells very stale... Any suggestions?

Old 09-14-2019, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Any debris or rodents issue with outside intake air system?

Old 09-14-2019, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Any debris or rodents issue with outside intake air system?
Thanks for responding... The dealership has checked it twice and says there is no such issues...

Old 09-22-2019, 05:01 PM

First remove any debris away from the area where your windshield wiper blades are at. I believe this is the inlet where your get your cabin air from. Secondary, try replacing your cabin filter. Most vehicle's cabin filter is behind the glove box but you want to double check.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by btrail
My bad smell is NOT with the ac but the outside air! I had the dealer clean the ac vents twice but it is the outside air that smells very stale... Any suggestions?
I'm an interior/exterior recon tech for Cadillac dealership, so here's my input...Purchase new cabin air filter, while ur there, grab some de-odorizing spray for vehicles and try to find a spray that might have sanitizing solution mixed in. Remove old cabin air filter (and items in glovebox), leave the cabin air filter compartment open as well as all the vents. grab the air compressor from ur garage, and blow out your vents and compartment. If the smell is stronger when your blowing it out, then you'll know for sure something is up with your ventilation system. Could be mold, mildew, hell even a dead rodent like the other individual had said. Leave everything open and spray that de-odorizing/sanitizing solution as far up into the cabin compartment as possible, angle the nozzle into your vents and soak the inside of each ventilation tube. Be careful as it MIGHT stain your interiors plastic, carpets etc...let it soak for a minute and to help it dry quicker, carefully blow air into all vents/filter compartment. Careful as the solution will go all over the place, I suggest holding a rag over each vent as you blow it out after spraying. Once you think the ventilation system is fully dry, pop in ur new air filter, close everything up (except vents of course) and kick on the ac/heat/fan and see if that helps

Old 09-16-2020, 01:51 AM

Wow, I wanted to thank you for your advice. I also have a problem and I can't drive because of a horrible smell, but I'll try your suggestions. Btw, could you advice me where to buy a new cabin air filter (in case mine will be too old)? The rats in my garage became completely insolent a year ago and gnawed the fuel line, and I also changed it. It's good that this is an insurance case. I decided to try all the methods of dealing with them. Ultrasound did not help, put poison in the food and gave them - nothing. I wanted to find more options for mousetraps and lures, but maybe anybody has somebody found effective methods...

Last edited by camRon; 09-21-2020 at 11:48 PM.