New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Bought a new to me Camry- I have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2023, 10:26 AM
Default Bought a new to me Camry- I have a few questions

Hello Everyone,

I recently bought a high mileage 2005 Camry v6 with 255k on the odometer. The vehicle seemed very clean and runs perfect. This is my first time buying a high mileage car and i would like to go over some of the maintenance.
All fluids look in excellent condition except the trans fluid. It looks more on the brown side, but does not smell burnt. What would you guys do? Drain and refill? Leave it alone? Also, it seems like it is past the max line. Not sure what to do here as i would like to keep it running for another 200k at least
All suggestions are appreciate it.

Old 10-26-2023, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats on you new car.

How are you checking the fluid?

The owners manual should have directions. If you don't have one download from the site below:
https://www.toyota.com/owners/warranty-owners-manuals/

A normal procedure would be to check it with the engine running at idle after moving the gear selector from P to Low and back.

One can check the fluid when cold or hot. If cold let the idle speed drop down to normal after engine start. Hot would be after driving to allow the fluid to reach normal operating temp.

The dipstick has two set of notches which should be marked with a "C" or "H" or such to indicate cold and hot. Use the appropriate marks for the fluid the fluid temp. The fluid should be between the notches for the temp of the fluid.

Take several readings if necessary as sometimes the dipstick picks up fluid from the dipstick tube which causes an inaccurate reading. Checking hot is supposed to be best.

Its normal for the fluid on the stick to read high when the engine is off as it pools in the trans oil pan.

As to condition of fluid. The internet has lots of sites with photos of trans fluid in various conditions (colors) and relates the color to its condition. Get a paper towel and place some fluid on it then compare to the photos. Toyota dealers have a color chart to check fluid condition. Its called the "paper towel test."

As to changing the fluid. Worn out fluid is the No 1 cause of trans failure. If the fluid is worn out or questionable change it all. If the trans holds say 6 quarts then 2 1/2 might be in the trans fluid pan and the rest in the torque converter. The fluid in the converter will not drain out from the trans fluid pan. One needs to force it out. The internet has site showing how this is done.

If changing the fluid don't have any chemical cleaners used, don't back flush as they call it, don't power flush, etc. Use the most gentle process there is which is just replacing the old fluid with new. A shop should have a machine that does this.

The internet has sites on what is most gentle process and videos of how it is done. Use the correct fluid as not all trans fluids are the same and trans is designed to run on a certain type of fluid. The owners manual would have this info.

If the car still uses hydraulic power steering then check the power steering fluid for condition also. Here one can simple suck out the old fluid and replace with new in between drives until the fluid is clear. The fluid reservoir cap may have the fluid type used or the owners manual.

Old 10-26-2023, 11:52 AM

Thank you for the detailed information. I am going to do this with the engine running next time to determine if it is at level.
I will do the paper towel test and go from there. Vehicle is shifting smooth and i would like to keep it that way for as long as i can.